Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1116 Dustyn Monismith


My name is Dustyn Monismith. I grew up in Pennsylvania on dirt bike’s since I was a teenager. I’ve always had the need to be outdoors. Maybe it’s because I’m 1 of 4 children and our mother was always telling us to go outside. Some of my hobbies are hunting, fishing, snowboarding and tinkering with my toys. My Dad will tell you that I was taking my toys apart at a very young age just to see how they worked. This is most likely why I chose the path as a motorcycle technician. I started my career as a tech at a local dealership in central PA in the mid 2000’s. Not too many years after that I met my wife of now 12 years. We have spent some time living in North Carolina, Wisconsin, and currently reside in GA. I owe it to my wife for being where I’m at today in life. Had I not met her, things would have turned out very different for me. First off, I must say that yes, she is a cheese head and I talked her into moving back to Wisconsin. While living in Wisconsin I was blessed with the opportunity to go work for Harley Davidson Motor Company and I have been with them since 2016. When I’m not helping other technicians around the country fix motorcycles you will usually find me on one of my motorcycles.

 
I can remember somewhere back in 2018 when my brother in-law Steve Davis (rider # 954) first started talking about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. This was around the time that he had seen how much my wife and I really enjoyed riding our motorcycles on long trips. I really didn’t put much thought behind that because I rode a Harley-Davidson Dyna Low Rider S and thought that’s not really a 10,000-mile bike. However, in 2020 this all changed when I watched Steve Davis make his journey across the U.S. I must say it was addicting to watch him live on the US Fleet Tracker and I can remember sometimes staying up till 2 A.M. Seeing how well my brother in-law did on his journey made me want this! I’ve chose the HHMC to see what I’m made of. I know that this will be a test of many things, but it is also an experience of a lifetime. There are many places that I have not seen and what better way to see it on a motorcycle.

 
My expectations of the HHMC is to finish. I have a goal to be back for the end of the road party. The best advice I’ve been given is to do what works for you. I’m also an MSF Rider Coach so this goes hand in hand with what we teach our students. That is, ride your own ride! I feel my biggest obstacle of the HHMC is trying not to over-think things. From experience I know this can lead to bad decisions. Sometimes the only way to overcome those bad decisions is by learning from your mistakes. At the end of the day, you must live with those choices.

 
The charity I chose to ride for is Band Of Blue. They support families of fallen officers. I feel
what these officers do for a living and putting their lives on the line does not even compare to the risks we take as a rider every day. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment