Sunday, June 19, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1110 Michelle Gilder

 


Hi, my name is Michelle aka Freebird and I am a person in long-term recovery. What that means to me is for the last 6 years I have not used chemicals or substances to numb out emotions or escape from hard situations. With Jesus Christ and a great support system, I have learned healthy ways of processing hard feelings and faced many trials without self-medicating with drugs or alcohol.  I love Jesus, my family and riding motorcycles. I started out riding in 2016 as a “sobriety gift” to myself and the new hasn’t worn off yet! I’m currently on my 3rd bike and enjoy long-distance riding. I love everything about the open road and the vulnerability of being in the elements. I live in South Georgia and am very passionate about giving back by serving at Celebrate Recovery, Broken Chains JC and other outreach ministries. I have 2 sons that both serve in the US Army and a brand-new husband that moved all the way from Nebraska.

I am excited for the opportunity to ride in the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge and represent people in recovery. The more we speak out the more the stigma disappears. WE DO RECOVER and no one is ever too far gone. People in recovery are some of the strongest, most dedicated warriors I know – and I am looking forward to them cheering me on along the way!

Throughout this experience I hope to discover more about myself and my limits. I enjoy pushing myself physically, mentally and emotionally and feel like this challenge will be the ultimate test of all three. The best advice I have received so far is to be ready for anything, all terrain, weather and environments. This will be the longest (miles and time) that I have attempted so far. But feel prepared to accept the challenge!

 

 

I chose Tiftarea House of Hope as my charity because I get to watch women transform into self-sufficient women of God. 
Tiftarea House of hope is a local Christian women’s shelter. Not only do they provide housing they provide job training and life skills coaching. 


 




No comments:

Post a Comment