Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1092 Mike Worcester

 


Growing up in Western Kansas on a large farm my goal was to ride a motorcycle across the country to see the beautiful landscape that God has given us.   At the age of 10 I was riding trail bikes in the pasture and country roads dreaming to that day I could ride the big bikes.  I was always driving the tractor and began running in high school and college.   I was fortunate to be talented enough to be offered a scholarship to run cross country and distance on the track which included a couple of marathons.   Both my farming and running resulting in hours of being by myself working and pounding the roads training.  

 Finally at the age of 52 I purchased my first Harley and started my ride.  I found quickly that riding my motorcycle was so much like running and was exactly what I dreamed of doing as I was growing up.   I discovered that I love to ride, and the more miles leads to the smell and sights of my youth.  I have ridden over 40,000 miles 4 of the past 5 years.   This included one year of visiting 3 countries, 1 territory and 35 states all east of Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska.  I am also a member of the IBA and have led many other riders on Iron Butt rides giving them the satisfaction of achieving their goal while keeping them safe.    One of my endurance accomplishments was riding the outline of Texas (3,300 miles) in 67 hours.  

I have a 4-year-old great niece that was born with Down Syndrome and lives in Colorado.  I am planning to raise money for the Colorado Springs Down Syndrome to help her and her friends.   The Down Syndrome organization provides scholarships for the kids that provide them opportunities to continue the physical work to become functional within the community.  It also gives their parents a break from the day-to-day care that each child may require.

I really look forward to experiencing the  Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge ride which will challenge me and give me the opportunity to learn more about myself.   I am excited to meet the other riders and hear their stories which is always a good time.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment