Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1105 Amanda Dannar

 

 


Hello everyone, I’m Amanda Dannar, Manda Panda, and rider  #1105. I am married to a wonderful, supportive husband who also happens to be a new Hoka Hey rider this year as well. We both ride our own motorcycles and put a lot of miles down together. We have a blended family with five grown children. They are in their early to mid-twenties now and are trying to find their ways in the world. We hope that we are supportive where we need to be, provide guidance when necessary and give tough love when essential. I am currently a social worker at a mental health crisis clinic. It is a challenging and rewarding occupation. I decided when I was 40 years old to go to school and finally get that degree I had been thinking about for so long. I guess I was in a hurry because I finished my Bachelor’s degree in 2 ½ years and went on to obtain my Master’s right after that. In short, I fast tracked two degrees in 4 ½ years. I put in a lot of hours, hard work and dedication. This was not done by myself since I had great support from my family, friends, employer, and co-workers. I joke and say that I have had ever job prior to this. I will not go into everything. However, I have worked in suicide prevention, drug testing, office management, accounting, and most proudly serving in the US Army. When not riding, I have been known to make baby quilts. They are not made for any specific babies. I just enjoy the craft of it and being creative. We also have several “honey-do” projects around the house that we are working on tackling when we get the chance.

I want to ride the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge (HHMC) for several reasons. First, it is an amazing opportunity to do something for others. I have had the good fortune to volunteer several times over the years and appreciated the chance to give back. The HHMC provides multiple ways to do for others. There is the designated charity, riders get to choose a personal charity and there may be opportunities to give back while on the road. Secondly, the HHMC is a long ride that provide many obstacles, demanding conditions, and personal accountability. The HHMC is brimming with tradition, value, and possibility. As an Army Veteran, I am drawn to tradition and value. My expectations for the HHMC are long days and nights, failures and successes. I am trying to keep my mind free of expecting too much and let the experience be what it is, organically. I feel that I will be exhausted, thrilled, empowered, and abandonment.

The best advice I’ve been given about the HHMC is to trust myself and abilities. I am aware that others may ride differently than I do, and I expect them to. I am prepared to ride my own way and know what I am capable of and what my limitations are. My obstacles of riding the challenge are stress, fatigue, and exhaustion. As a mental health professional, I feel that I have learned a few tricks of the trade when it comes to recognizing stress. I plan to take appropriate breaks, utilize personal hygiene, and fuel myself mentally and physically with proper nutrition. My family and friends are supportive, and I can always lean on them for an additional “push.” I heard about the HHMC through my husband. He has known about it since the beginning. I have been following it for years and decided this was my year to challenge myself. 

 Want to join us in making a difference? We are raising money to benefit Tri-County Behavior Healthcare, and any donation will help make an impact. Thanks in advance for your contribution to this cause that means so much to us.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment