Friday, June 3, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 1000 E Ed Maulbeck

 

 


I’m originally from the small town of Livingston, New Jersey not far from New York City.  I was a Union Carpenter in my early twenties with a calling for something more out of life.  I joined the Navy in 1988 to become a Navy SEAL, I attended Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) Training and graduated in Class 161 and spent a twenty-year career as a SEAL Team member, retiring as a Commander. Currently I still support the Navy SEAL Community as a private contractor/owner of a small business.  I’m also the owner/operator of an Indian Motorcycle Dealership in Newport News, VA (Indian Motorcycle of Southeastern Virginia).  In my limited spare time I like to travel, motorcycle ride, exercise, and scuba dive.



I really enjoy racking-up mileage on motorcycles alone, with others, and on group rides (I refer to it as wind-therapy).  Through a rough couple of years with some personal problems 2018-2022, I participated in the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge 2020 to “kind-of” clear my head.  I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  I am blessed with great friends and family, and this event helps me refocus and to continually grow.  It is somewhat spiritual for me…

 It will be nice to focus on the basics of life while dealing with/enjoying all the challenges that will come with the HHMC.  I will likely develop additional bonds (potentially lifetime/long-term) bonds with others regarding our shared experiences of adversity, enjoyment, and accomplishment.


Best advice: Prepare for it and enjoy it.


Physically a lot of neck/back/spine issues (spinal fusion) and a broken back from a military parachuting accident, and 20-year career as a Navy SEAL.  I almost completely stopped riding from 2004-2013.  I’m blessed to be 100% physically able to participate again in the 2022 HHMC.

Scott Bradley (HHMC 2020 Rider #1000S), as he was shopping for the right bike for the HHMC 2020, I learned more and more about it and knew that this is something that I must do.
As I worked for months with Scott Bradley to identify the right motorcycle for him to purchase for his HHMC.  I thought of an idea to get him and Will Araiza (HHMC 2020 Rider #1000W) a pair of all-new Deepwater Blue 2020 Indian Challengers.  Indian Motorcycle Rentals decided to provide two brand new motorcycles for them to use to prep for the challenge and for participation.  Everything started to connect, I read every bit of information about the HHMC and I realized that I needed to do it also.  I felt the need so much that I didn’t want to wait until 2022.  Junie and Beth so graciously included me in one of the Navy SEALs “The Riders 1000 Group” and the rest is history. It was so enjoyable and an experience of really feeling alive that I will continue to participate as long as I’m honored to be included and I am able.  The challenge was more therapeutic to me than difficult, I physically felt very good throughout the 2020 Challenge, I pray that I feel as physically well this time also to really enjoy it even more.  I am greatly honored to be selected to participate as Rider #1000E.



The Navy SEALs Fund is one of the Mike Martin (HHMC 2018 participant and founding President of the Frogman Motorcycle Club that passed away unexpectedly in 2019) funds that other Riders # “1000” supported for HHMC 2020.  Ironically, Mike Martin’s other charity was the Special Operations Forces (SOF) Warrior Foundation, Tampa, FL, and one of my two partnered non-profit/charities that I’ve partnered my Indian Motorcycle Dealership with since inception.  Also, while still on active-duty, myself and three other SEALs paddled two tandem kayaks from Norfolk, VA two-hundred miles up the Chesapeake Bay into the Potomac River to Washington, DC, in the dead of winter and through snowstorms.  Countless people said it couldn’t be done and about ten others that planned to join us bailed out before we started.  Another ten very experienced paddlers tried to paddle the first day with us and could not handle the storm conditions at launch and quit immediately while we paddled away on our journey.  We made it all the way and it made the local news/newspapers and was a key part in an ABC 20/20 episode.  We raised over $10,000 and awareness for the SOF Warriors Foundation.  I’m honored to continue my support for the SOF Warrior Foundation every time I’m able to participate in the HHMC and I do it in honor of MCPO SEAL Mike Martin for “Mike’s other charity.”

No comments:

Post a Comment