Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 1008 Peter Milani

 


In 1966 at 6 years old I would wait at the top of a hill on my bicycle for two brothers, Chuck & Andy (whereabouts unknown) to come home from work on their choppers. I would peddle as fast as I could so I could ride next to them for a short time. One day I followed them into their garage and got a look at their bikes up close. That was it for me. I was bit. The next years were full of dirt bikes and anything that had a motor. In 1977 I saw “Leany” (RIP) pull a wheelie on his 77 XLCH in the Foodland parking lot where we would gather to try to be cool. I told my friends; I am getting a Harley. Bit again, but harder this time.

,

On December 1977, I rode home from the Harley shop on a 1978 XLH. It was my first ride on a street bike and halfway home it started to snow. (Pittsburgh Pa) I would ride it to high school and do wheelies like “Leany”.  Real good times. I paid that bike off before I graduated in the spring and set my sights on riding as much as I could and getting a bigger bike. The odometer showed about 75,000 on it when I removed it. I still have that bike and my son is the only one I will give it to. In 1981 I got a FLH that my friend built for his dad. In 1992 I got a new FLHTC. In the next years I replace the 92 with a 93, 96, 98, 01 and a 05 the bike I rode last year in the HHMC. In 2020 I got a black Road Glide.

I have always been a traveler and was looking into the Iron Butt and long-distance riding. I saw what became my next life challenge, “The Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge”. So, I went to the 2019 Rendezvous at the Bobarosa Saloon and met many veteran riders. BIT AGAIN and harder this time. Since then, I have been working on my bike, my gear, and fund raising. I rode the 2020 HHMC for the personal challenge, the brother hood, and to raise money for The Wingman Foundation.


                                                          

I completed the 2020 HHMC and made the end of the road party. As in 2020 I will be glad just to stay on course and finish in 2022.  From the time I got “The Call” that I was chosen for the 2020 challenge I have been focused on the Hoka Hey warrior spirit. For 2022 I have a new bike and better riding gear.  Things I learned in 2020: Hoka Hey family is the best, ride your own ride, NEVER QUIT (I lost about 34 hours with 2 breakdowns). It is more important to help a brother or sister than how it is to finish.

When not on my bike I could be sailing, kayaking, skiing, shooting pistol matches, or on the beach.  

To The Next Turn.


        

No comments:

Post a Comment