Saturday, June 11, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 1014 Scottie Ray

 



This is my 2nd Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. I was in the 2020 Challenge and finished 
  Have you experienced a change in your riding style since riding the HHMC? 
I don't know that I experienced any style changes.  I guess I don't look at the normal obstacles the same as I used to, but I feel I still approach the road the same way I did before.
  Do You feel better about your confidence, are you more likely now to tackle the tougher roads or did you come into this a badass? 
It is certainly a boost of confidence.  It is a sense of accomplishment that I will carry with me forever.  I have tackled longer weekend runs more regularly since the '20 challenge.
  What would you pass on to a new rider about your experience with the Challenge and advice that would help them?
I think it is important to make a plan ahead of time. What's the goal?  What is a stretch goal?  I had a goal of 12 days when I started the '2020 challenge and through the first half, I was on-target, but I had trouble making the same miles per day during the second half.  I reset my expectations, didn't beat myself up and focused on the next goal of 14 days.  It helped just to reset and re-focus.  I think everyone knows their own skill sets and limits.  While the challenge is designed to push your limits, it is still important know yourself.  Things are going to go wrong, you're gonna miss turns..just keep working the challenge in front of you and it will all work out.
 How hard was it to fund raise? What are your success stories? 
I had an amazing network helping me.  I had a goal "Pre-Lockdown" of 20,000. I figured I would have to scale that back because of events being cancelled etc.  When I left on the ride, I had 16,000 raised...I recorded small videos of me on the ride at night in the morning at gas stops... my network shared and shared and when I pulled across the line we raised $23,000 for my charity.  I was really humbled.
 Why do you want to ride again?
To be candid, I was not sure I was going to ride again. Between new jobs, schedules, etc.  I just did not think I could pull it off.  However, in talking with some other riders, I thought I would challenge myself at least one more time.  :) 
 Did you wreck? What did you experience going through that?
I did not wreck...I almost hit a black bear in Colorado about 11PM in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison--which was the closest I think I came.  
 How supportive are your family and friends? 
I could not have done this without them.  You definitely need that support, or at least I did.  They forwarded videos, sent encouraging texts, followed my ride on the GPS tracker app.  I never really felt totally alone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment