Friday, June 17, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 1029 Michael Torres

 

Back in 2018, a friend of mine told me a story about how a 2016 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenger came through town. That rider told him about the challenge and all of the trial and tribulations that he had endured up to that point. Intrigued, I researched the challenge.

Being a fan endurance contests and tests of will, I decided I might attempt the challenge in 2019. Unfortunately, there was no challenge that year. So, I had to wait another year. During that next year, I tried to get my friend to come with me for the 2020 challenge. Due to life changing circumstances, he was unable to participate. Fortunately, he is on the wait list for the 2022 challenge, YAY!

During the 2020 challenge, I faced many tests of will and faith. I’ve slept on the side of the highway with cars and trucks zipping past. I’ve gotten baked in sunlight and drenched in the same day. I was frozen to the bones on two occasions. I even crashed once in Colorado. Luckily, my injury was minor and a 24-hour rest fixed me up.

They say that, “You need to ride YOUR own ride.” That statement can’t be any further from the truth. Early on in the challenge, I found myself trying to keep up with other riders. Screw that! Everyone’s pace is different. Ride within your abilities and TAKE YOUR TIME. I crashed because I a reached my limit. Now, I knew what my limit was by then and I was looking for a place to stop. However, due to my exhausted state, my awareness and reaction time were impaired. So, I guess was riding just beyond my limit (/smirk). But I digress. Riders, please ride within your limits and at your own pace. It’s not worth dying over.

Other than the above sentiment, there are probably a few other things that a new rider might want to bring.

1st: Pack light. Packing light applies to both weight and illumination. You will not need much weight on the bike. Wet weather gear, cold weather gear, sleep system, and shelter. Now, there are different philosophies about sleeping bags and sleeping mats. Any small 3 season sleeping bag should work just fine. Sleeping mats preferences are completely up to the individual. I chose the largest/most luxurious mat from Thermarest I could find. Some people love hammocks. To each his own, I say. Find what works for you. For shelter, I found that for a single rider, a two-person backpackers tent worked great. If you go the tent route, I recommend a free-standing tent. I hate staking things down.

2nd: Have plenty of water. It doesn’t matter if the water is bottled or in a Camelback. Just have it on you. The water is for both hydration and cooling. Water is a must.

3rd: Get AAA. If the bike breaks down, just call AAA. It may take a while for a tow. So, what? Do you really want to try fixing the bike while your exhausted? Now, please keep in mind, I’m referring to major problems. A small tire leak is easy to plug and fix. So, having some simple tools (tire kit and inflation device) is recommended.

4th: Have a way to charge your phone. There is no reason to elaborate. Everyone should understand this.

Lastly, try for an authentic experience. Went I completed the challenge on my Fatbob, I didn’t have much in the way of luxury. No radio, stock seat, riding gear, shelter, two wheels and an engine. I found

that by depriving myself of some of the comforts, I had a more spiritual experience. Now, I’m not going to preach, mostly because I don’t know how religious the readers are. But I did find myself in many situations asking for His help and he provided it. Having distractions may have taken that away from me. And I wouldn’t trade my Hoka Hey 2020 experiences, real or spiritual, for a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment