Friday, June 10, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 1012 Larry Robertson

 


I am an enrolled member of the Sisseton-Wahpeton Dakota Oyate. I am Akicita, having served in the military and law enforcement for over 30 years. My first Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge was in 2020, I finished after rolling through the heavy rain bands which were remnants of the hurricane Marco, very memorable. The upcoming 2022 will be my second challenge and I’m excited to be a part of it. I have known about the Hoka Hey Challenge hearing about the very first one in 2010 and have wanted to be a part of it since then, but being a single dad, raising my kids was the priority. As soon as I crossed the finish line, I was excited about participating in the next, the personal challenge and camaraderie experienced was something I just wanted to experience again, its a riding family that welcomes all, we all cheer each other on, and what you personally get from it is the satisfaction of helping others across the country.

 

The challenge was definitely a physical and mental challenge. The elements, time and fatigue provided the physical challenge and coupled with the doubt, create the perfect storm a rider must fight through to complete the ride and cross the finish line. My advice to our new riders is to have faith that you have the physical and mental fortitude to get through the challenge-but “ride your ride”, push yourself as far as you can for you, not for anyone else; forgive your mistakes and move past them with each section of the ride. In addition to that, get your rest, hydrate, eat at least one solid meal each day and have fun, enjoy the sights.

 

I have always been someone who loves riding long distances and hitting the road without a plan. I would just take my tent and sleeping bag, when I would get tired I would stop, sleep and move forward the next day. The solitude of the open road has always been a welcomed escape, but the people I meet on the road provide welcomed conversation along the way.

 

Fund raising was done through contacts in social media and reaching out to friends. The other way I raised funds was to hand out business cards with some information on me, and information on the challenge, there were many interested people I met along the way. I received email confirmations from my charity that people had made contributions in my name to the organization.

 

The charity I ride for is Concerns of Police Survivors (COPS), the organization is there for the families of fallen officers, the ones left behind, the wives and children. I have known many officers who have left behind their families due to a line of duty death, the heartbreak of the children who grow up without that parent to support them. This organization provides scholarships and other support for the families. This is a non-profit group: https://www.concernsofpolicesurvivors.org/show-support


 

No comments:

Post a Comment