Thursday, June 9, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 1010 Joao Mendonca


 

My name is Joao Mendonca Rider #1010 out of Miami Springs, Florida. Joao is John in Portuguese. I chose to be known as Classic Rider because I have quite a few Vintage motorcycles, I like to buy old motorcycles and restore them. At the 2020 Challenge I rode a 1989 HD Ultra Classic Electra Glide, and it became the first vintage motorcycle ever to finish the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. I still can’t believe that I was able to finish on a 31-year-old motorcycle. But I always remember what is written on my sticker “Know your bike. Know your limits” and following these ideas it made sense all the way to the finish line. 

I have been a motorcycle enthusiast since my earlier days back in Brazil, unfortunately I could never own one there. When my friends ask why so many motorcycles and why I don’t sell them all and buy a new one? I found the perfect answer that it is sarcastic in nature, but it could have a little bit of truthiness.  My answer is: It is a childhood trauma!” 

I was able to buy a 2018 Road Glide Ultra for the 2022  and I still manage to keep my old bikes. As you can see my childhood trauma left some irreparable damages! 

I wrote a book titled “From Rookie to Finisher - My Adventure in the 2020 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge™”, I wanted to write a book to record all that I had to go through to be able to reach the finish line and at the same time leave this experience and some tips for future riders. Hopefully it will be ready before the 2022 Challenge. You can pre-order now and a portion of the process will be donated to the Shriners Hospital of Children.  

Use this link to Pre-Order the book and support the Shriners Hospital of Children. 



No comments:

Post a Comment