Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 1023 Keith Herve

 


Hello brothers and sisters

2022 will be my second Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. I did finish in 2020 and what an adventure.

 Being from Alaska; long distance riding is nothing new for me. Sleeping next to the bike is not new either but having the sun set and getting dark is not part of my normal summer riding experience. The Hoka Hey has not really changed my long-distance riding routine. The sad part is still getting off the bike after a trip and wishing you were still on the road.

The reasons I want to do it again are:

1.      I have no idea where I am going until 5 am the morning of the start and it really does not matter. It is the joy of the ride that counts.

2.      I know I am going to see parts of the country I would probably not explore on my own.

3.      Finding a place to park and sleep with the bike makes for an interesting challenge and adds an extra level of adventure.

4.      Following a predetermined route is a great challenge and is probably the most exciting part for me.

5.      I want to finish faster than the 2020 challenge.    

6.      I enjoy the challenge of pushing myself to finish as fast as I can. It is an endurance challenge and is a different riding style than my normal long-distance rides.

7.      I have made some of my best friends in this challenge and look forward to expanding my riding family.

The biggest disappointment in 2020 was about Covid nonsense. A lot of time got wasted trying to find places to eat and a place to use a bathroom.

My advice for new riders:

If you are new to motorcycle touring this is not for you. Not yet! The finishers are considered professional long riders for a reason. Do not think you will finish first or in the top of the pack unless you know and ride with the top riders already. You will put in 2 weeks of steady long days. You will be tired, will miss a lot riding at night, the roads will be a challenge, and you will make mistakes. You will have to assess risk and know when you need to rest. Sometimes a 30-minute nap will keep you going other times several hours of sleep will be needed.

My charity is Shriners Hospital. I have been a Shriner for almost 49 years and been involved with fundraising for them ever since. The Shriner's have great information about what they do on their website. You may make a direct donation to the Shriner's through this link


Fundraising is not easy for me. I find it hard to ask my friends for money. It may come from my school days of having to do fundraisers.

See you on the road!     


 

No comments:

Post a Comment