Monday, April 1, 2024

Meet The New Rider # 1225 Tameka Singleton


#RISEANDRIDE
Tameka “Kurvez” Singleton
Profession: U.S. Air Force (Retired)- Veteran
City, State: Philadelphia, PA
Hometown: Mobile, Alabama
Significant Other: Anthony D. Handy
Child (son): Demetrius James Singleton
I am currently the National President of the Bessie Belles Riding Club Inc. and formerly the creator and
chairperson of The Bessie Stringfield All-Female Ride, an annual, three-day motorcycle ride and event for
women bikers from across the country. The ride and club are named in honor of Ms. Stringfield (1911-
1993), who was the first known African American woman to ride solo across the continent on a motorcycle. Like Ms. Stringfield, I heard the call of the Harley-Davidson V-twin, and throughout the years and many miles, I have had some of my happiest and most exciting adventures when I have been on two wheels. I am also passionate about sharing the joys of motorcycling with other women. Toward that end, the first big ride I organized was “Divas Cruisin’ Da’ Coast,” in 2009. My goal was to unify and inspire women riders from the Gulf Coast states of Florida, Mississippi, Alabama (where she was born) and Louisiana. I began riding in 2007 on my first bike, a Suzuki GSX-R 750, after experiencing the thrill of riding as a passenger. I have since graduated to my fourth, current motorcycle a 2017 Harley-Davidson Road Glide Special, nicknamed“Blak Ball.”


By 2009, I had moved up to an even faster, more powerful bike, the Kawasaki ZX-14. Then, I briefly flirted with drag racing, but by 2012, I realized that I enjoyed the freedom, relaxation, and camaraderie of cruising more on my Harley, and I have never looked back. I have ridden across the entire country on my Harley eleven times, completed the USA Four-Corner Ride twice, as well as many other long-distance  rides,including several Iron Butt endurance challenges. 

  


The Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge is the inevitable next step in my riding adventures. I have been studying and watching riders participate in the Hoka Hey since 2016. The challenges of riding secondary roads, sleeping next to my bike, using maps instead of GPS will assess my skills and endurance as a rider. I welcome the challenges of the Hoka Hey to improve my knowledge as a rider and help me to evolve.


In addition to riding, I am committed to supporting a charity that is near and dear to me. My chosen non-
profit charity is Mo’s Heroes (homeless veterans). Mo’s Heroes provide services to assist in reintegrating
homeless veterans into meaningful employment within the labor force; and to stimulate the development of effective service delivery systems that will address the complex problems facing homeless veterans.
Whenever possible, I support this charity because I am a veteran and understand that all veterans do not
know how to transition back into society or want to receive the assistance and benefits for which they have fought. This charity is also founded by a veteran and one of my Air Force’s peers ShaDonna McPhaul. Mo’s Heroes has many causes that patrons can donate to. Some examples are housing, education, and transportation services for veterans. As a patron, you have many choices in which you can donate. The money for Mo’s Heroes is also used for food support, employment help, and counseling services. Just use this link to donate: Mo's Heroes


No comments:

Post a Comment