Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Meet The New Rider # 1132 Rick Dukehart

 

Ride name/ trail name???   
I'm still thinking about that.  (Rick, RickyD,  Tool Man, Duke, Bravey,  Capt. Kale,  Renegade, Little hero)  The most common has been "Yer Crazy". Except when someone yells "Yer Crazy" everyone seems to turn around.  Maybe the Challenge will provide me one?
    Steve McQueen "The King of cool" made an impression on me early.  Maybe at 10 years old. I grew up riding the training wheels off my first bike. The hard rubber tires were the next to fail when all of the spokes fell out. I hadn't even started with jumps and ramps yet.
    I've always been an adrenaline junky I guess. Along the way I have done some pretty neat stuff.
Riding motorcycles"
Flying in a glider
Piloting a plane
Jumping out of perfectly good airplanes
Running with Bulls.
Rock Climbing
Rappelling 26 stories from the Westin Hotel In Pittsburgh for addiction (picture above)
Whitewater rafting and canoeing
Dragon Boating
See a theme here?
I hope Steve McQueen would be proud.


    I can't remember exactly where I became aware of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge.  I do remember watching a video after I learned about it. All I remember was riders crossing the finish line.  They were completely exhausted, spent.  Hardly able to show any emotions except a smile and where can I get off this bike and rest.
    I was immediately drawn to this event. It may have even been the inaugural event I was watching.
    Last February 2023 my buddy Mike Clark and I had met in Virginia for a winter biker lunch with friends. He was seated next to me and asked me if I
'd heard of the "Hoka Hey". I said yes and he told me he had sent his entry in. Knowing what it was I was immediately envious and said I'll have to check it out again.  He told me to hurry as the cut off for entry was close. I said I would and then forgot about it. When I remembered I was right at the cut off and didn't make it.  I watched as a few riders backed out and hoped I would get the call. Well here I am.
    I have chosen "Shatterproof" to support for this ride.  I had previously supported them several years ago.  I rappelled from 26 stories from the Westin Hotel in downtown Pittsburgh.  Shatterproof is dedicated to providing people help with addiction.  I have known and lost more people than anyone should have to.  

    Last year alone there were 112,000 overdose deaths.  The highest number ever.  Addiction seems to affect everyone.  According to a study by RAND Corporation, about 42% of adults in the U.S. know someone who died from a drug overdose. Who did you know?

Looking for any help I can achieve for this organization

I'm Supporting Shatterproof 


 

 I'm excited to meet everyone and nervous as well.  See you in August!

No comments:

Post a Comment