Sunday, April 21, 2024

Meet The New Rider # 1197 Mike Hazelrigs

MIKE “SQUATCH” HAZELRIGS #1197
Chiqinik Gheli for the opportunity to participate in the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge Florida/Alaska Challenge 2024.
Biography: Competitive Swimmer, Hunter, Motorcyclist, Father. Highlights: LOTS of wilderness
camping. South Texas hunting led to multiple successful Alaska Bush plane drop hunting trips for weeks
at a time – example: Pistol shooting caribou at 180 yards and packing meat 5 miles. Living on the tundra
limited to 65lbs of gear and not being top of the food chain. Professionally I have been Corporate IT in
Houston for over 30 years and now manage 500,000 sq feet of office and landscape space for The
Friedkin Group.
Motorcycle Biography: Rider for 44 years. Many bikes from the early (70’s) dirt Hondas to street UJM
models, to Ultra Harley and I am on my 2nd BMW a 2019 BMW GSA. I have just added a 2023 HD Road
Glide ST as my mount for the 2024 Hoka Hey Challenge. Many rides to Big Bend, Dragon, Sturgis, Bear
Tooth, Arkansas, Tennessee and the Texas Sisters are part of my experience. Motorcycling is my
sanctuary.
My first knowledge of the Hoka Hey Challenge was 2015 in Galveston, TX at the Lone Star Rally. The
cut a rider was wearing stood out so much that I looked up the Hoka Hey Challenge when I returned
home. It was then that I understood that the patches were indicative of an accomplished, serious rider.
Something to be treated with reverence. As “old School” I understood the importance of EARNING
entrance to groups and treat holders of the Hoka Hey symbolism with great respect. A personal change
occurred when I became aware of Chris Hopper’s 100/100,000 ride. As a Houstonian, I was excited that
anyone would attempt such madness and when I found that he was a Hoka Hey rider, my expectations
for the caliber of riders in this elite group were confirmed. Then, as luck would have it, I recognized his
name on the Republic Harley Davidson dealership site – providing training for tire patching. I signed up
and cleared my calendar – no way was I going to miss meeting THE Chris Hopper. I met Chris and
Kimberly and Michael Lamb and was launched into the Long Distance world quickly. Each Hoka Hey
rider was kind and freely shared incredible wisdom. I found that my riding experience and the way I’d
set my bike and kit were in parallel with the long distance community. In short order the Hoka Hey
team put on a Long Distance class where I also immediately signed up and attended with great interest.
Since that class, I rode my first IBA SS1k with Chris(Hop), Kimberly(Twister) and Michael(Wrong Way)
and have completed a couple others. I signed up for Hop’s 2022 Rally, knowing I could not attend due
to work commitments, but wanted to support the effort. This enabled me to be at Republic when the
riders came in and I was incredibly impressed at the close family I observed within the Hoka Hey riders. I
met many and I left as everyone was pulling up to tables to eat as I hadn’t earned that place – yet. My
impression of the Hoka Hey community has been confirmed as we attended the Taco Run, a Mile
Monster SS1k, Sturgis Mile Monster completion and the Reunion. They are truly the best and most
accomplished motorcyclists on earth. My ‘Brother’ Craig Metcalf who I’ve ridden with for over 20 years
will also be riding the Hoka Hey 2024 with our goal to cross the finish line together.
Charity: I will be riding for The Rose rated platinum by Guidestar.org
THE ROSE has served over 800,000 patients and treats more than 40,000 women annually. The Rose is
the only nationally recognized nonprofit breast health organization in Texas that simultaneously serves
the insured and the uninsured. The Rose provides diagnostic services, support and addresses care at
two Houston locations with connections throughout the Houston medical center. The Rose also
provides coaches (5) directly to the community for mobile diagnosis.


Why THE ROSE: I met my Fiancé Kathy when she was diagnosed with Breast Cancer Stage 3 and survived reconstruction and recovery in 2011. After 12 years, the cancer has now returned as metastatic
(terminal) breast cancer. We’ve participated in many of the Rose’s “Bikers Against Breast Cancer” rides
with supportive friends and Brothers. The Charity component of the ride will be highly personal and
extremely important to me. My goal is simple, to raise $10,000 dollars or a dollar per grueling mile, for
The Rose. My employer, The Friedkin Group has generously agreed to match the first $5,000. In donations. Find MY fundraising link at: The Rose/Squatch1197
Per Kathy’s direction, if I can’t save her, try to save others. I will never be able to un-hear that…
I deeply admire the relationships I observed within the riders I’ve met and I believe I can contribute to
such a family. I am a fierce friend and brother. I am loyal and respectful of tradition. I am tenacious
and driven. I demonstrate great care for those I love.
I’ll see you in Florida AND in Homer- HOKA HEY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment