Sunday, April 28, 2024

Meet The Rider # 895 Bill Ryan



 Greetings from Louisiana, I have ridden in the 2018, 2020 and 2022 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenges and finished the first 2, but fall short in 2022, more on that later. As I look forward to 2024 as I will be riding with a fellow alumnus, David Beard, who I meet in 18 and we completed both 18 and 20 together.
If you are a new rider, remember it is not a race, but a challenge, so ride your ride. Remember
to eat and drink water, then more water, keep yourself hydrated. No matter how much you
prepare for this ride, the unknown, the unwanted situations will happen when you least expect
them. You will get tired, frustrated and at times upset, take a depth breath, stop, get off your
bike, walk around and remember why you are doing this.


As for the unknown or unwanted, in 2022, I was on day 11, well rested and feeling good, less
than 1100 miles from the finish when at dusk a mule deer decide we need to perform the
tango. We both finished last in that contest. Not the way I wanted to end 2022, but 6 months
later I was back on a bike, as for the deer, he ended up as food for some other critters in the
woods. This ride earned me the “"Ozuya Toapi" (Wounded Warrior) patch, I highly recommend
NOT trying to achieve this one.


Most importantly, my wife, Laura, provides the support and motivation for me to keep riding!
While some friends think I am crazy, I get nothing but positive support from my family and
friends. I always post the tracker so family and friends can follow along.
Once again, I am riding for “Stand Up To Cancer”, I have lost family, friends, fellow service
members to different cancers over the years. And yes, I am also a cancer survivor.



No comments:

Post a Comment