Monday, April 29, 2024

Meet The New Rider # 1191 Matt Hertel


I'm someone who has always been about responsibility to my job to my family and others. I make sure things and others are taken care of when they have a need and as the years go by I have realized it's time to do the same for myself. I've seen this country for 35 years through the window of my truck earning a living and not getting to ride my bikes as often as I'd like due to not being home earning a living. As the years go by I started to realize life goes by so fast. So this is the one big thing I'm doing for me. I've rode cross country before but in a very leisurely way compared to the Hoka hey . I rode my little 80cc Honda from Germany to the Mediterraneans when I was 16 and that's pretty much where the bike bug bit me. 

Once I migrated to the states I got another bike pretty quick , my first full sized bike, it was my commuter throughout the year , great to live in the south lol the weather cooperates.
Then life hit me and the bike got sold for a living room set , we all know the rest of that story I assume
Now I own 5 and I only have one rear end and nearly zero time , once a year I ride to bikes blues and bbq , roughly 900 from my house.
 

I have nearly no desire to ride around locally.....let's get to why the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge
It's a structured ride I can do on my own , I like the morals that come with it to keep everyone right n tight. I like it because it'll be a fantastic memory, it's a long ride and it's definitely a challenge and it's certainly not local. Years ago I heard about it and called Beth asking if Alaska was coming back, somehow I missed one but, I'm not missing this one.  I want the patch and once completed and only then will I order the derby cover, my own trophy so to speak. 
 


My personal trip to the left coast was nearly all US highways and I loved every minute of it so it comes naturally that I need the Hoka Hey.  Driving a truck I pound out miles after miles on the boring interstate system seemingly designed to see the least possible of this country.  The people I met on my trip were all friendly and I couldn't imagine the Hoka hey crowd to be any different, especially the ones that have done it several times, I believe it instills something inside you that you know no strangers and you get the road compassion to know how it feels broke down on the side and you're compelled to stop.
Obviously I don't know anyone of you guys but I have this feeling that it's a place where I belong.

Thanks to all who had an input on accepting my entry form.
I'll do my best to uphold the cause and respect the ride.


Matt aka Road Toad 
Rider # MCXCI....or 1191

No comments:

Post a Comment