Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Meet The New Rider # 1231 Sonya Williams


 I’m Sonya Williams and I go by the riding name Kosher. I am rider
#1231. I work for the state of Illinois counseling teachers on their retirement
benefits. I have done this for almost 25 years. I considered retiring but as you
know, this motorcycle life-style is not cheap so I think I will be here a few more
years. In my spare time I like spending time with family and friends, traveling and
of course riding Sparkle, my 2018 Harley Davidson Road Glide. After turning 40, I
decided I wanted to try something new so I learned to ride a motorcycle. I have
been riding for 14 years. Kathy Geary, a co-worker, told me about an annual all
female ride headed to Killeen TX. I had never rode long distance before but I was
up for the challenge and she trusted me enough to get us there and back. Her
trust fueled my confidence and I have been going strong ever since. Kathy is no
longer here but I know she peeks on me from time to time.


Why the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge? I rode to South Dakota in 2022 to support a friend that was
participating. First off, the beautiful landscapes I rode through to get there were
breath taking. I think doing the Hoka Hey would take me through areas just as
beautiful. Secondly, the men and women I met, of all ages from all walks of life
were intriguing. I’m sure the 100 new riders picked to participate in the 2024 ride
will be just as intriguing and ambitious. The camaraderie among them was like none
other. I could see some of the primary objectives of the Hoka Hey right away;
community, peace, friendship and respect to name a few. Sit around with some of
the participants and just listen to their stories and it will be evident to you as well.
A large part of the ride is to raise awareness of Social issues and fundraising for
the Indigenous population.



Being the grand-daughter of a Cherokee freedman, I want to give something back
to the Cherokee Nation. I think this is a great way to honor my grand-father and
Jim Red Cloud. The Cherokee Nation is the organization that I'm choosing to raise
money for. The money collected on my behalf will go towards education services.
Education services provide educational, history, cultural, language, scholarships
and youth leadership opportunities for eligible Cherokee Nation citizens.
Donations can be mailed to: Cherokee Nation, C/O Treasurer Janees Taylor, P.O.
Box 809, Tahlequah, Oklahoma 74465. Please put my name, Sonya Williams
HH#1231, on the memo of the check. You can also make a donation on line at this
site: Cherokee Nation/Online Giving/Donations/create Make
donation in Memory of: Sonya Williams HH#1231


No comments:

Post a Comment