Thursday, May 2, 2024

Meet The New Rider # 1174 Scott Smith


I started riding when I was 8 or 9 years old. My sister’s boyfriend Russ ( god rest his sole and fuck cancer) told me if I could start it I could ride it. I kicked that enduro until gas was flooding out of the carb. But somehow after what seemed like 1000 kicks, it started and I’ve been in love with motorcycles ever since. I am currently married. My amazing wife Rebecca for the past 10 years treats me like a king. I am truly the most blessed/luckiest man alive. Between us we have 3 kids( all grown and out of the nest) Ashley, Hayley, @  Skyler @ 1  granddaughter, Mazie Jay.  I attended The Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Orlando Florida back in the mid 90’s. I graduated with degrees in early and late model classes. Life’s events led me out of the industry and have been a letter carrier for the usps for the past 17 years.

  


            I will be 55 years old at the start of the 2024 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. While following the challenge over the last few years I’ve heard riders say  things like “ the hoka hey will teach something about yourself real quick”.  With that said I’m hoping  the Hoka Hey will actually help me regain my old self as well find a new part of me I never knew was there…. I’ve become lost in the world of planning and strategizing and making sure every little thing is the way life says it’s to be. The younger me only needed my bike @ enough gas money to get there and back , and the rest would just fall into place and a great time was had…I NEED THAT PERSON BACK!! My mantra for the 2024 Hoka Hey Challenge is “NO HURRY NO WORRY”.  I would like to complete the challenge in a reasonable time and make the challenge a challenge but I also want to live every minute of it not chasing an end. 

   


        For the 2024 challenge I have chosen THE CHILDREN’S MIRACLE NETWORK at PENN STATE CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL in Hershey Pennsylvania. This charity is very close to my families heart as they ,(with experimental procedures that had only been done once in this country at the time) saved my sons life after a near fatal motocross accident while practising for the upcoming race season, at 12 years old.  His left femur was shattered above the knee and the main vein and artery leading down his left leg were destroyed in the accident . He had surgeries numbering in the teens and although he lost the toes on his left foot from the blood flow being lost for so long they were able to save his left leg from amputation. It as you can imagine if you’re a parent was the worst time in our family’s lives .. Thanks to the Dr.s  and nurses and that experimental procedure he has recovered and has grown into a big man with a big heart. We (my family and friends) have been raising money since the day I received the email confirming I had been accepted. Literally.. I started a sub sale that day. My goal was to raise $5000. As I’m writing this bio we’re at $4500 with 10 months of 2024 to go! 

 My contact with the Children's Miracle Network, (Angela Linton) has told me the money donated to this charity.

be going directly to the children’s hospital in Hershey pa. A big percentage of the money raised locally  here in central Pennsylvania goes to the  Neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Newborn / premature babies will get a better chance at life with this money!!!!!

              I would also like to thank my sponsors for this event, Susquehanna Valley Harley Davidson and I just got...   High Strenth Vtwin  and also a special thanks to Leaman Signs for providing my rider number  decals.

No comments:

Post a Comment