Thursday, May 9, 2024

Meet The New Rider # 1123 Dee Rice


 Greetings! My name is Dee Rice. I'm a retired copper miner living in a rural area north of Tucson Arizona. I’m happily married to a wonderful lady. We have 2 children and and 2 grandsons. I was tagged with the road name Hi Dee Ho several years ago. Like most, if not all of the riders, I rode dirt bikes at a young age. Marriage, career, and family led me to adjust my priorities. Riding a motorcycle fell off of the list for several decades. My wife and I wanted to see the country on a motorcycle. So in 2012 I purchased a 2012 HD Ultra and now we have a HD 2020 Road Glide Ltd. We have traveled a majority of the states in the US. Lacking three I believe. We’ve done the Sturgis thing for six years and we ride the yearly 10 day Run for the Wall mission. Our first year was 2015. I also enjoy off road riding on my 2019 BMW 1250 GS Adventure bike. Veteran support is very important to Debbie and me. We are active in several Veteran supporting groups. Patriot Guard Riders, RFTW, Nation Of PatriotsTour of Honor are a few.



The 2024 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge takes me to Alaska for the second time in 12 months. Debbie and I visited Alaska in September 2023 (first time) for another special occasion. We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary on an Alaskan land and cruise tour! Our plan is to ride the motorcycle to Alaskan in 2025.


 

 Why I ride in the HHMC- I think it was about 4 years ago. I attended a Ride Like A Champion riding class in the Phoenix area. A pretty large class with street bikes and baggers. In this class was a motorcycle outfitted with Hoka Hey lettering and numbers. I’ve never seen or heard of Hoka Hey. I had no clue. I returned home and within a few days I googled Hoka Hey. The bug bit me! I read through the information on the Web page and thought: That’s a bitch of a ride but I’m gonna do it! Fast forward to July 2022. I dropped into the Harley dealership in Tucson to discuss some warranty work on my Road Glide. In the service bay was a Harley with Hoka Hey decals. I asked the service advisor if this rider is still in the building. He told me he was in the lounge. It was there I met Dean Luptak #932. He was at the dealership getting a tire replaced. Although he was tired, he spent quite a bit of time answering my questions about the HHMC. My desire to participate became even stronger. I spoke with Dean after he completed the 2022 ride. Always very helpful. I hope to see him in Daytona this year.



Story continues: I apply for the 2024 challenge in February 2023. I was accepted and issued #1123. (Thank you Junie and Beth!). I attended the rendezvous in Eagles Nest NM. During a group ride, there was a motorcycle that kept getting my attention. Thinking I’ve seen that bike before. And sure enough it was Jason Jenkins #998 that was at the ChampSchool training in Phoenix. We became acquainted and he offered some great advice. Pretty cool! As mentioned, I attended the Eagle Nest rendezvous and I recently returned from the 6th ATR. I sure met a lot of great people. Never once have I come across someone that wasn’t willing to answer my questions about the HHMC. And I seem to always have many questions. Thanks everyone! One person that I didn’t wear out with all of my questions is Patrick Cornell #996. This guy has been patient and helpful with giving me advice and guidanace. Thank you Old Man! The Hoka Hey family is awesome!


I believe this ride effects each rider differently yet the same. I enjoy riding long distances. The time in the saddle allows me to connect with my family members that are no longer with me. Give mindful thanks to my wife and family and appreciate the goodness that has been bestowed on me. I will ride my own ride set with my personal internal and external challenges. My goal is to get to Homer safely. If I arrive in time to attend the activities on day 14 that will be great. If I miss it, that’s ok.


My charity of choice is Combat Hero Bike Build. I ask that you click on the link and read about this wonderful organization. Donate if you can. Donations will be used for motorcycle rebuilds and modifications. The majority of the veterans are amputees. The modifications they make to the motorcycles to fit the individual veteran is amazing. Almost every year there is a bike presented to a disabled veteran at the Run For The Wall host hotel in Ontario California. They have many presentations across the country every year as well. The organizational goal is to get our brave veterans back to riding-giving them back the Freedom they sacrificed for their country.
All for now. See you in Daytona
Hi Dee Ho

No comments:

Post a Comment