Friday, May 31, 2024

Meet The Rider #1000 E Ed Maulbeck


 Ed Maulbeck Hoka Hey Rider 1000E, yes… that’s not a typo! There are four us
affectionately referred to as the “Riders 1000”
HERE’S THE BACK STORY:
During the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge 2018 there was a Rider Named Mike Martin, Mike was a
Vietnam-Era Navy SEAL that crashed during that Hoka Hey, broke a few ribs, and kept
riding. I believe it was “Mama Beth” that talked him into stopping (that is what I heard,
but I wasn’t involved back then). Mike was not only tough, but he was also loved by the
Hoka Hey family. Mike planned to participate in/conquer the 2020 HHMC, but, he
passed away in 2019. His HHMC Rider number was 911.



As the HHMC Rider numbers approached number 1000, there was a group of
Navy SEALs that were going to ride the 2020 HHMC in honor of Mike. I got involved in
getting a motorcycle for one of those Navy SEALs as I own an Indian Motorcycle
Dealership. I pitched a plan to Indian Motorcycle to provide two “2020 Deepwater Blue
Metallic Indian Challenger Limited’s” for two of the SEALs (1000S – Scott and 1000W –
Will). Now I’m in the midst of setting all this up and I’m saying to myself, I gotta do this
Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge thing. I asked the guys if I could join them, they said
yes. I asked Indian Motorcycle for another “Deepwater Blue Challenger” and they said
yes, and the rest is history! There was Scott and Will, also Terry on his Roadglide
Limited (Rider #1000T) and I round it out as the fourth Rider 1000!
We all rode the 2020 HHMC for Mike Martin’s two charities. I rode it for the
Special Operations Forces (SOF) Warrior Foundation which I’ve been supporting for
over 20 years, and it’s also one of my Dealership’s partner charities.
I am a HHMC 2020 “Finisher” (in 14 days), and the experience was absolutely
therapeutic. I enjoyed my first HHMC so much that I did it again in 2022 and I came in
with my close friend Terry - 1000T on the thirteenth day during the “End of the Road
Party,” Terry and I are now “Elite Finishers.” I thoroughly enjoyed both HHMCs and I’m
even more excited for 2024. I am blessed with great friends and family support, as this
event helps me refocus and to continually grow. I am a practicing Catholic, however,
Hoka Heys seem to be somewhat of a spiritual cleansing for me (that, and there is also
confession…)



This year I have a new charity! As I’m honored to ride, I’m even more honored to ride
this year’s Challenge for “The Honor Foundation” (pun intended). The Honor
Foundation provides college/university style training to transitioning SEALs and Special
Operators. When I retired in 2008, nothing like this existed. I was approached by the
organization last year and was honoring to be the guest speaker at one of the
graduation commencements at the Virginia Beach, VA campus. I’m now compelled to
support them! My previous charity the SOF Warrior Foundation in Tampa, FL (HHMC
2020/2022) remains near and dear to my heart, however, the Honor Foundation seems
to have the greater financial need. I’m more focused now than ever about the fund-
raising component of the HHMC because the charitable fund-raising is the competition
of the HHMC!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment