Saturday, June 8, 2024

Meet The New Rider # 1169 Leo Hadley


I was Born and Raised in Buffalo NY. And spent many summers about 70 miles south in
Chautauqua County which I recently learned was a past Hoka Hey checkpoint. COOL!
There were always dirt bikes minibikes, and snowmobiles around. I never owned a bike up there for
over $300 and couldn’t afford anything nice. Especially since riding season is only 5 months if
you’re lucky.


My group of High School friends and I had this crazy dream of homesteading in Alaska. We talked
about it every day. Someone told someone that you could just go there, stake a claim, and the state
would pay us to live there. Easy right? Somehow, we believed that story. After graduation, we all
went our separate ways, and I fell into a minimum wage job making eyeglasses.
In 1995, life led me to Tampa Bay Florida. By this time, I already had 10 years’ experience in the
optical business. I found a wholesale optical lab job the same day I arrived. Also, I discovered that
motorcycles are on the road all year round. This ignited my itch to ride. I went through a Sportster,
Wide Glide, and finally found my 1st Road King. This model was made for me.



Since I still have family in Buffalo and Chautauqua County, I started long distance riding from
Tampa to Buffalo and back on all my time off work. The old feelings of going to Alaska have always
stayed in my soul. After several years and several hundred thousand miles in the saddle, I started
talking about riding to Alaska. I even planned it out a few times, but something always stopped me.
Two years ago, I was hanging out at my local dealer talking about making the trip to Alaska. One of
the guys sitting there said “Hoka Hey”. He told me it was a group ride from Key West to Alaska with
some crazy rules. As soon as I got home I googled it, and found it. This was just before the 2022 run,
so I learned all about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge and followed it on Facebook during the 2022 run.


As soon as the 2024 trip was announced that it was going back to the Key West to Homer route. I
signed up on the opening day of applications. What a perfect way to get to Alaska. My lifelong
bucket list dream. Maybe I can stake that claim after all…HAHA
I am still in the eye care business now for the 38th year. Only now, I own my business and I don’t
have to submit a request for vacation time. My chosen charity is very important to me. I know it
does not compare to all the big ones, but please hear me out….
Imagine being 4-5 years old, and not being able to see clearly. Only, you do not know it since this
has been the norm your whole life. Its time to learn the alphabet, and learn to read. You’re falling
behind in class since it is a struggle to understand the blurry letters. Your grades are poor, and you
cant keep up.



This is a reality for many kids starting school. Their parents or guardians may not have the means to
afford an eye exam, and these kids are set on a path of failure from the start.
There are 10 million children in the United States in need of vision services. “We are changing lives.
Sure, it’s a pair of eyeglasses, but it’s reading. It’s education. It’s a child’s future.”
Your support provides eye exams and glasses for children in low-income communities.
EyeCare4Kids™ is a children’s charity that aims to provide professional exams and glasses for
children at no cost to their families. Glasses have an immediate and positive impact on children
with correctable vision problems and will help their performance in school, as well as increase their
confidence. As long as there are supporters of EyeCare4Kids™, these services will continue serving
children and their families.


100% of all donations go directly to the kids. Only $100 can help three children get eye exams
and glasses thanks to EyeCare4Kids and their generous supporters. Please consider a small
donation and follow me this year on my long distance adventures riding for kids.
#GlassesOn, #RoadKingLeo


 

No comments:

Post a Comment