Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Meet The New Rider # 1175 Pat Smith


 I rode mini-bikes as a kid, then bought my first real bike, a Honda Shadow 600, when I was 25. Sold it to
get married. 2 kids and 1 divorce later, I bought my first Harley, a 1996 Heritage Softail, when I was 40.
It wasn’t until I went on an all-day ride with some friends that I realized what I had been missing! I’ve
been through 3 more bikes and almost 100k miles since then (child’s play by HH standards, I know!).



I don’t recall exactly how I heard about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge (probably a Facebook post),
but when I looked it up, I knew I had to do it. I was too late for 2022 registration, so you can bet as soon
as it opened up for ’24, I was on it! As for why I want to ride: to see just what I’m made of! I know some
of you veterans are probably saying “well get ready, ‘cause you will!”.



As for my non-profit, I finally chose the Fisher House Foundation , specifically the house in Kansas City
(my nearest metro). They offer a “home away from home” for families of
veterans who are receiving treatment at the nearby VA hospital. I took an advanced rider class this year,
and I was the only non-military student. I was also the only local student, which got me thinking how
most vets never end their career the same place they inducted. I also wanted to go with something
military-related, as I have a 25 yr-old Marine daughter.
Fundraiser link: Fisher House Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment