Saturday, June 30, 2018

Meet The Rider: Mark Childers # 805

I became aware of the Hoka Hey Challenge in 2010 on a flight from Seattle to Miami. One of the riders was on the jet and explained what he was about to attempt. I couldn’t imagine “why” and thought he was crazy. I didn’t even own a motorcycle at that point but what I thought was an insane adventure stuck in my head.

We lived in Alaska at that time and for the next few summers my wife and I would ride to the lower 48. When the 2014 Hoka Hey “Unfinished Business” route was announced my son Josh and I decided we would ride and finish it.

Sleeping outside is something I enjoy. Running long distance sled dogs in Alaska gave me plenty of practice doing that, however sleeping on the ground in the wilderness is a quite different than sleeping on the ground at a 7-11. It only took a couple of nights before Josh and I would happily dismount our rides and go to sleep quickly on the asphalt, dirt, grass or picnic table.

Never a fan of groups or organizations that tell me how or where to ride, the Hoka Hey Community is much much more than that. The men and women are true warriors and the best riders and people in the world. Several veteran finishers were very helpful to us offering advice and tips. They WANTED us to succeed.

My son and I had many experiences on this adventure. Hallucinations happen. I discovered I can ride while totally asleep, although I don’t recommend it. Some of the best feelings I’ve ever experienced occurred. Some of the most breathtaking and beautiful sights were witnessed. Yes, it is life changing and you might just view everything differently afterwards.
My favorite piece of advice came from warrior Roger Buis and it is also practical in everyday life...”1) Change your socks and drawers daily. 2) Use “Anti Monkey Butt” powder liberally and 3) Don’t sit on your nuts.

I am riding for the “One Spirit” program for Native American Indians.

No comments:

Post a Comment