Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Meet The New Rider Jon Garcia # 926


 I heard about Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge through my father-in-law who will be partaking on this journey with me. I love to hit the gym, read, and spend time with my wife and daughter. I served almost 8 years in the military and found my love for riding while serving. My father in law is also a United States Marine and it is one of his dreams to finish the HHMC. We share a few things in common our bond in the military, love of his daughter, and the love of riding. This journey is about finishing together and the spiritual journey.

 How have you been preparing financially, physically and mentally for the challenge? I have been putting extra cash away each month to help prepare financially for this journey. Physically I have been spending a good amount working on my core and taking rides to prepare my body for the long ride. Mentally, the HHMC will be a time I can throttle back mentally. I am a full time student and this ride will be a refreshing time where I can focus on the road and not a textbook. The biggest obstacle that I had to overcome is finding the time to focus on the ride. School dominates my time and finding moments to prepare for the trip has been difficult.


My biggest supporter is my wife she has been on my side the entire time. I couldn’t have done this without her. The best advice I received about this trip is slow is fast and fast is smooth. Meaning not to try and finish the race in one day but take our time and enjoy the challenge. My friends and associates are supportive but also say all the time “better you than me.” I learned how to live with very little and survive arduous situations during my time with the Marines. I will relay on my survival skills to make it to the finish line.

 I believe this event is a worthwhile program because it gives riders an opportunity to be challenge and overcome obstacles. This is as much a physical challenge as a mental and spiritual one and each mile is traveled in the name of worthy causes.  

 (Hoka Hey Motorcycle Charity Challenge) In January of 2017 Bill's sister-in-law, Terri and 17 year old niece, Margaret Wickel were tragically lost in a senseless accident. Margaret had Down Syndrome and they were both members of the Fun Coast Down Syndrome foundation.  This foundation included many activities including the Down Right Dancers which Margaret participated in and loved. This organization was designed to provide support, education and resources to individuals and their families with Down Syndrome.  During their memorial service the gravity of love and commitment of this organization toward Margaret and Terri was overwhelming. The HHMC is not only an opportunity to ride our "Steel Horse", which we love to do, but to challenge us to do something greater.  This once in a lifetime ride will take us on a 10,000 mile journey through some of the most beautiful parts of our country. During this ride, we will not be partaking in the finer things in life. We will be sleeping under the stars next to our bikes, not in hotels, experiencing the discomfort that will be a constant reminder of ONE of the many reasons why we are riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment