Monday, May 28, 2018

Meet The Rider Chicken Joe Connors # 842



My friends call me “Chicken Joe.”   I bought my first motorcycle in 1973, my first Harley in 1996. I ride more than most, less than some. Over the years I’ve ridden the Alaska Highway thirteen times, Run for the Wall, a rolling coast to coast event eleven times, made more than one Iron Butt run, and recently did the 50 CC Run. I’m closing in on 500,000 documented HOG miles.
Gene “Fly Boy” Adee, Rider #71 introduced me to the Hoka Hey Challenge. We followed him on the website and kept up with stories he posted. In 2011 we were again tracking the HHMC and realized riders were riding through our community. My wife and I went out along the roadside and cheered them on. We offered cold water, energy drinks, and snacks to the Challengers. In 2015, “Shepherd”  a pastor friend invited me to join him for the Memorial Run. I was hooked.

In 2016 I took on the Challenge. This year, I’ll take it on again. Each rider faces different personal challenges. I turned 70 in February – for me there are many physical challenges. I survived a mild case of polio as a child, which resulted in some muscle weakness recurring as I get older. I survived prostate cancer in 2002, a motorcycle accident in 2013, and continue to manage Diabetes diagnosed 26 years ago. Dyslexia creates frustration for me when reading the HHMC directions. A misread 5 or S often leads me off course.

The Challenge is also mental. If I get lost, will I find my way back? What happens when I break down? Will the diabetes keep me from finishing? What about animals on the road at night? (the cause of the 2013 accident.) I took inspiration from Fly Boy and Shepherd, and the other riders I met as we set out from California in 2016.  Early on I listened to the radio, but soon turned it off. Just me, the wind, and many blessed hours of listening to God. Through it all, I kept going. It was exhilarating to finally ride up under the “FINISH” arch with Beth there to greet me.
Hoka Hey riders are now part of my extended family. If someone calls and says let’s meet for a hot dog in West Virginia, I leave Texas and go for a hot dog! I appreciate Outpost Power Sports of Silsbee, TX and Cowboy Harley Davidson of Beaumont, TX for their continued support and Sponsorship.

Hoka Hey Challenged me to be a better rider, and a better person. If today is my day to die, I am ready. If not, let’s ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment