Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Meet The Rider # 628 Larry Murray


 It was in a tent in Afghanistan when I first read about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. At first I didn’t understand and thought it was a guided tour through 48 States (2011). Due to shipping issues and a dead battery, I got my new RGU the night before we started in Mesa AZ and put 4 miles on it before parking it back in my garage in GA with 17,200 miles on it 21 days later.

 


Jim told us at the Rider’s briefing that this ride would change your life. I didn’t know Jim and thought to
myself yeah, whatever, I just want to feel that freedom and wind in my hair! But Jim was right, the ride
did make an impact on my life and took a burden from me that I was carrying that wasn’t mine to carry.
Three days after I got back to GA, I was waking up in the tent in Afghanistan wondering what the hell had
just happened…as my memories of the ride came flooding back to me, I jotted them down to share with
my sons and friends, at the end I ended up putting a book together.


2013, I did the HHMC again. This time with a great friend made during my 2011 ride. Even though I DQ’d myself the second day- missing Needles Highway, my goal was not for high finishing, but rather again to experience the adventure with a like-minded friend on a challenge only this ride provides.


 


Here I am one last time. I have been blessed to ride in 49 States with Alaska the last on my list. It has
been a struggle to make the decision to do the ride this year. I jealously guard my time off to spend with
my wife, friends and family. This time feels selfish, but I know I would regret it if I didn’t ride, and I try to
live my life with no regrets.

 


This ride will hopefully benefit the Black Hills National Cemetery with Wreaths Across America. There
are approximately 22,000 grave sites at this cemetery alone. For just $17 one can sponsor a wreath at
https://wreathsacrossamerica.org you can then choose the National Cemetery you would like your
wreath to be placed. I am requesting we focus on the Black Hills Cemetery located in Sturgis, SD. The
code for this on the WAA website is SDBLNS. This year Saturday, December 14th will be the day across the US that wreaths are put out. If you have the time, it is a worthwhile endeavor to pay homage to our
Veterans.


See you in Daytona, the DeadMan rides again!


No comments:

Post a Comment