Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Meet The Rider # 1010 Joao Mendonca


Most English-speaking individuals can’t properly pronounce my name correctly, so I am used to answering to anything closer to it. Whatever you say I will answer it! I also use “Classic Rider” as my road name. Follow me on the US Fleet Tracker.



At the last Taco Run, I was talking with Robert Saunooke (Rider #814 Big Daddy) and mentioned that a few years ago, at the toy run he had asked me: “Where is your cut?” my answer at that time was: “I have not earned it yet!” Looking down at my vest I see two Challenge rockets. Two Finished Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. Just the other day I was just a rookie and now I have two Finished Challenges to brag about. Sometimes I wonder how I was able to achieve that?


The reality is everyone is a rookie on a new Challenge. You may have experience from previous challenges, but the new challenge will be the first time you will be going this route. I believe that is the mentality every rider should adopt at the starting line. Be humble as a rookie, apply your experience from previous challenges and you will enjoy every single mile of the Challenge.



I see some new riders preoccupied with paper maps and tracing the route on paper. I heard David Elizondo
Rider #751 once say: “if you follow the instructions, you won’t need a map.” And that is how I have
completed the last two Challenges. I like the “surprise” factor when following the instructions. You will not know until you receive the paper and start on the route to know where you are heading. Sometimes I don’t even know what state I am riding in. I don’t pay too much attention to that. I just ride and enjoy the route and the new horizons in front of me.



In 2020 I finished with my 1989 Harley Davidson FLHTC Ultra Classic Electra Glide, a 31-year-old
motorcycle which became the first Vintage motorcycle ever to finish the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge.
The Challenge itself is too fast, so I decided to create a record of this adventure. I organized by date over
one thousand pictures I took while on the challenge and with the tracker on the other screen, I was able
from my desk, retrace the route and match the pictures with the location on the map. The result was one
book for each challenge. 

From Rookie to Finisher - My Adventure in the 2020 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge™ Am I still a Rookie? My Adventure in the 2022 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge™
Both available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble or you can order a signed copy using the links above.


I will be riding for the Shriners Hospital for Children and hopefully raise $1 for each mile. Donate here!
Shriners Hospitals are the world leaders in childhood neuromusculoskeletal conditions, burn injuries and
other special health care needs. All children are eligible for admission and there is no charge to the family
for the care.


Looking forward to seeing all in Daytona!

No comments:

Post a Comment