Friday, April 26, 2024

Meet The New Rider # 1217 Dan Mitchell

 Riding has always been in my blood. Growing up I watched my dad and his friends experience a love of motorcycles as well. But even with that love of riding and the open road, riding was discouraged when I came of age to be able to do so. I found myself unable to listen to this discouragement because the calling of the open road has always been a part of me. Wherever I want to go, I’ll be able to go. But keep in mind that this is what a motorcycle is. It’s not just a frame, an engine, a set of tires, or even a rider. That’s just what a motorcycle needs but what a motorcycle is… what Roxxi really is… is freedom, challenges and peace.

This calling is what led to the purchase of my first motorcycle at 18 and I found myself living by one rule, ‘what a man can do, and what a man can’t do’. My first bikes created a love for curvy roads. I started riding longer distances when I built my first bobber, which then led to my first bagger purchase. When my wife, jokingly, threatened me with death if I didn’t utilize the purchase, the subtle encouragement of long distance riding began. I started out with roughly getting 20,0000 miles a year as a minimum goal that I challenge myself to break each year. And let me tell you, when you are the first one out in early spring, being willing to ride in the winter, and your preferred method of travel it can sometimes be a lonely journey. This perspective isn’t always understood by other riders in the same manner that I feel and understand it.  My wife and sons are among the small supportive group I have had, encouraging and enabling me to complete challenges I might set for myself. Learning with me working full time as a welder, and trying to complete my goals while supporting them in theirs. They have always held the same opinion of every mile being a memory during the journey. 



My first encounter with Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge riders was during Daytona Bike Week 2020 and the more I learned about it, the more I was drawn to the idea of the journey being a “spirit quest”. I am hoping to learn more about myself than I knew prior to the ride, and to learn to challenge myself without the need to challenge others. The ride itself is the epitome of what a man can do and the freedom he has to achieve it. This being my first organized long distance ride, I am extremely grateful to have met the high expectations of being a part of this Challenge and I hope to live up to the high standards of past and present Hoka Hey riders.


The physical aspects of the ride will be challenging, but the mental ones are going to be the most difficult.  My spirit quest will not only be conducted in the same month as an early birthday present for myself, but during an anniversary of one of the worst days of my life. August 2024 will be the 2 year anniversary of my youngest son’s death. I will not only be riding to challenge myself, but honor him and the things he and I enjoyed most together… motorcycles and the freedom of the open road.


The charity I have chosen to support for the 2024 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge is The Sparrow Project.  My wife has  spearheaded this project seeking to not only further education, prevention, and resources regarding suicide but to support and honor those that have overcame or have been a victim. The foundation aims to support families who have lost a child to suicide by offering donations to help them manage their everyday lives so that they can focus on what they need to do to heal once the initial outpouring of support is gone. Mental health has been a taboo subject, and with state and federal governments causing resources and support to become slim, I hope to help call more attention to this cause. My alliance with this foundation stems from the loss of our son to suicide in August of 2022 and the goal of helping support others during their own healing process. My purpose of the 2024 Hoka Hey  is to be able to experience this spirit quest not only for myself, but to give some direction to those who may have lost their way.


“The answer my friend, is blowin’ in the wind*....

*Bob Dylan Blowin in the Wind






Link to The Sparrow Project https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61557585891357


Donation Link:    

https://www.zeffy.com/en-US/donation-form/2cf1730d-f90b-401f-833f-aa2a788e958c


No comments:

Post a Comment