Friday, April 26, 2024

Meet The New Rider # 1157 Jay Harding



I was born in Peterborough, Ontario but soon moved to Toronto where my Dad found work in construction. I met and started dating the person I would eventually marry in Grade 9. We have three boys (all adults now) and in 2024 my wife and I will celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. In fact, I anticipate being on the road to Homer on our anniversary date. Following in my Dad's footsteps I have enjoyed a long and rewarding career in the construction industry. We now live in Edmonton, Alberta and I am fortunate to work for a great company that is very supportive of my riding endeavors and is promoting my selected charity, Spirit North. I started riding dirt bikes when I was a teenager and competed in National Hairscrambles as an adult.  Since 2015 my life has been significantly impacted by two key factors: A newfound passion for the open road on two wheels after purchasing a Harley Davidson; and a desire to learn the true history of Canada and acknowledge and help those communities still affected by lasting trauma. Thanks to the Edmonton HOG chapter I was able to meet many amazing and like-minded folks who our now my long distance riding partners and good friends. I consider myself to be a very fortunate person and I owe it to my wife, Laura, whose unwavering dedication to our family is unmatched.

 


The Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge embodies what I strive to be as a human being. It has given me a platform to promote awareness of the lasting impacts of colonization on Indigenous people, and offered me an opportunity to prove to myself that I have the character to face adversity, make sacrifices and be the warrior that my family and my community need me to be. It has given me the opportunity to set an example, one that will empower others to act in a manner that befits the Lakota Sioux principal of Wolakota (peace, balance & coming together).

 

Laura and I set out to find a charity that focused on uplifting Indigenous youth to support social change. We found the perfect fit in Spirit North. Spirit North facilitates the implementation of outdoor sport, play and land-based learning programs that are created and led by Indigenous people, for youth within their own communities. Spirit North participants eventually become program, youth and community leaders, acquiring leadership and life skills. No other organization aligns more closely with the intent and spirit of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge.



Sponsors:


Harley Davidson of Edmonton www.hdedmonton.com 


Legendary Barbershop https://www.legendarybarbers.com/ 

Come in Ordinary, Leave Legendary. Hot Shaves, Fort Saskatchewan Barbershop, Fort Saskatchewan Barber, Goldbar Barber, Edmonton Barber,Wainwright Barbershop,

No comments:

Post a Comment