Sunday, April 21, 2024

Meet The New Rider # 1200 Gonen Minuskin

 




About Me

I was born in Israel and emigrated with my parents at the age of 6 to New York. I remember witnessing my parents take an oath as we became US Citizens, we were so prod to be American. I grew up in New York and worked most of my adult life in New York City as a computer programmer for various investment banks. While on a vacation in Cancun I met my wife, who moved in with me just 6-months prior to 9/11. Our apartment, located in Battery Park City was a few blocks from the World Trade Center. On that horrible morning, I was at work in midtown and when I saw the news, I immediately ran back on foot to find her. By midafternoon I made it back to our apartment and was happy to find her alive and well, she did not know if I was alive or dead either. This experience and the months and years that followed influenced who I became today.

We have since started a family and now have a wonderful 17-year-old daughter; “Ashley” We are such proud parents. In 2019 we moved to Delray Beach, Florida where I manage the technology for a small hedge fund. I am so happy to be so close to my office that I can drop my daughter off at high school every morning. I am sad, thinking about the day that she leaves the nest and goes off to college. I cannot believe I have made it this far and have a truly blessed and wonderful life.

Why Do I want to Ride

Though I have been riding for over 25 years, the past 4 years I have been increasing my love for long distance and ultra-long-distance riding. I ride an average 200-300 miles each Sunday with a local riding club, and we take several trips per year to the mountains of North Carolina. I heard about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge from a club member and got introduced to rider #1038 who explained what it was all about. I knew this was what I was searching for. To prove to myself that I have a chance, in Sept 2022 I traveled solo from Delray Beach, FL to New York and along the way earned my membership in the Iron Butt Association. That ride had two objectives, 1. to visit my cousin Avi who was fighting Brain Cancer and 2. See if I can ride that far solo. Riding the Hoka Hey also allows me to see the United States in a way that will last a lifetime and raise money for a Charity. I am so blessed to be healthy enough to participate.


My nonprofit is the Glioblastoma Foundation for Brain Cancer Research.  

Why Did I choose it

After a three brain surgeries my cousin Avi Noy died from Brain Cancer on April 7th 2023 . He leaves behind 3 beautiful daughters, a wife, mother, father and a brother and sister. A parent should never burry their child. This cancer came up suddenly and was brutal. There is no real viable treatment.

The goal is to fund new, more effective treatments for Glioblastoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment