Saturday, April 20, 2024

Meet The New Rider # 1141 Kelly Swihart




 
I was born in Fort Wayne, IN. Within a few months, my parents moved us to Crestview, FL, where I was
raised. After I graduated from high school, I worked at a couple of jobs, biding my time until I would be
old enough to pursue a career in law enforcement. Around this time, I bought my first motorcycle, a
Suzuki GS550L. My then girlfriend and future wife, Mindy, and I rode it all over NW FL. I realized I
needed life experience to help me reach my law enforcement career goal, and so I enlisted in the Army. I
served seven years in the infantry. The first two were at the 101st Airborne, where I learned about
camaraderie, teamwork, service and leadership. I then learned I would be transferred to Korea for a year.
During preparations for that transfer, we sold the Suzuki.                                                                         

After returning from overseas, I finished out my enlistment stationed in Alaska and left the Army in 1994.
We stayed in Alaska for 27 years until I retired from law enforcement and moved to central Alabama. In
July of 2021, my daughters, Morgan and Anna, and I took the basic rider’s course at Riders Harley
Davidson in Trussville, AL. We thoroughly enjoyed the course and immediate camaraderie. We bought
a Sportster XL1200T a few weeks later and rode every day possible. We linked up with the local HOG
chapter and were welcomed with open arms. In August of 2021, I bought a Road Glide Limited. After
acclimating, Mindy and I began to attend group rides and went on many weekend trips with our Chapter,
other small groups, and on our own. From August 2021 through the end of 2022, we put roughly 24,000
miles on our RGL. 

                                                                                                                                                                          I began to hear bits and pieces about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge, but I didn’t key in to the significance immediately. In mid-2022, I became acquainted with a VA doc, Rip Alexander, at an appointment. I noticed motorcycle paraphernalia in Rip’s office and naturally we talked bikes and biking.  Rip told me he had ridden in the Hoka Hey Challenges and was getting ready for the 2022 Challenge. He gave me his information, and I was able to track him throughout the challenge. Rip inspired me to learn more about the Hoka Hey, what it represents, and to apply. My charity is the Big Oak Boys and Girls Ranch https://swihart-charitable.square.site/ in Springville, AL. Big Oak provides a Christian home for children who need a chance; children who have been abused, neglected or abandoned. Funds raised will go to the charity to use as needed for day to day operations. I chose Big Oak because, as a former foster, and now adoptive, parent, I understand the needs they are meeting and appreciate what they do for the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment