Saturday, August 1, 2020

Meet The New RIder Andy Dennis # 1013


My first time riding something with a motor was when I was 6 yrs old. My dad took my brother and I to a field close to our house and we rode and old Honda 50. That was the start of a 40 year love affair with bikes.  I did  a lot of dirt bike riding, mostly trails up near Algonquin Park. I made the transition to street bikes in my late teens with my first being a Suzuki GZ 550. I did the sport bike thing for a bit then moved into cruisers then to sport touring. I’ve been riding strictly HD touring bikes since 2008.  When I`m not riding, I`m taking my kids to hockey rinks or football fields. Occasionally I can be found wondering aimlessly in the French Quarter or skiing down a slope on some mountain run. I enjoy cooking and can make a wide variety of foods including likely the best carrot cake with cream cheese icing you`ve ever had. I have limited requests, please do ask me to fold a fitted sheet, I have no idea how to do that and at this stage in life, I`ll likely never learn.

 I first found out about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge when I was looking for a long distance ride to do. I recognized how unique this opportunity was. It would not only test your riding skills but you mental and physical endurance. I saw this as a true challenge. As I looked into it more, I saw the comradery between riders and the possibility to raise awareness and garner charitable donations for organizations. I think I’m going to learn a lot about myself and my abilities. I’ve done long distance riding/camping but always used my directions and not ones created by others, so I believe I’ll find that a challenge. On occasion, If I felt like it I’d grab a hotel for a decent bed and shower along my way. I also expect to learn to deal with setbacks, improvise and adapt to different scenarios.
I`ve been riding for a long time now and have road for extended periods during the day and night. The challenge of following the directions. Normally, I plan my own directions and obviously have an idea how those directions flow. When taking others directions adding being unfamiliar roads and locations. I also know those same roads are going to show me things most people will never see. That alone is worth taking on the challenge.

 The best advice I have been given about riding the HHMC?

Take your time reading the directions, trust the directions and get something waterproof to keep your directions from getting ruined.


One of the main obstacles that I have to overcome is planning. I know that may sound odd but generally I don’t plan too much, I have a general idea of what Im doing but get side-tracked often,  just fly by the seat of my pants for the most part.  I`ll need to ensure I take the time to follow through with my planning but still need to adjust and adapt on the fly.







I will be support two non-profit organizations during the ride hoping at raising funds for the following charities,  True Patriot Love (TPL)  …. https://truepatriotlove.com
. I chose TPL because it`s works with Canadian Soldiers and their families. The second charity is more personal for me, and that’s cancer research specifically colon cancer. In 2017, my dad passed away after a long and slow battle with colon cancer. I already donate blood specifically because of the need for cancer patients and so for me this was a great opportunity to get building the charitable donations.

No comments:

Post a Comment