Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1072 Nancy Webb

 


My journey to my first Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge began at age 3 when I ran away from home the first time...but I won't take you back that far. I joined the Air Force in 1992 and served on active duty for 26 years until I retired in 2018. Three days after I retired, I took a one-way flight to Thailand and back-packed 4 continents and 21 countries for 15 months. Once I reluctantly returned to the US, I began traveling on my 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob. In 2021, "Willie" and I rode over 58,000 miles across 47 states and attending all the 2021 HOG touring rallies.

When I met Robert "Lumpy" Kumpe at one of the rallies in April 2021, he explained what the HHMC meant to him. As he told his story, I saw the spark in his eye and began to comprehend the significance of the event. Personally, I believe the HHMC will be one of the, if not THE, most difficult thing I have ever attempted. Lumpy passed away very recently after a very long struggle with cancer, so my first Hoka Hey is dedicated to Lumpy, his spirit, his tenacity, and his joy of riding.
The first time attempting to do just about anything can feel daunting, and that's exactly how I feel about my first Hoka Hey. But I'm also determined. I have promised myself to push beyond what I think are my existing limits and to remember Lumpy's example of endurance and resiliency. I have been preparing my bike, my gear, and myself for a few months now, and I believe I am prepared...which means I am completely NOT prepared, as many experienced riders have not so gently pointed out. Perhaps I am as prepared as I can be for my first Hoka Hey. The US Fleet Tracking will tell the truth soon enough.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment