Monday, March 26, 2018

Meet The Board: Logistics Officer, Steve Briscoe. Rider #779



I first started riding at the age of 16 and I’ve been an avid rider since.  I joined the Army at the age of 17 in 1972 and after a short break between 1976 and 1982 I returned to military service and retired in December 2004 as a First Sergeant.  My military career bounced between leg infantry and logistics.  I continue to work for the Department of Defense as a sworn in DA Civilian and often find myself in harsh environments around the globe that, at worst, disallow riding and at best still disallows riding.
I am married with no children.  My wife and I both believe that if you are unwilling to do something for free then it may not be worth doing; at the very least you need to check your motives for every action.  I have been known to get articles published in regional magazines and local papers and recently published a book about my experiences riding the Hoka Hey Challenge. 

My first Hoka Hey experience was with the 2013 Challenge; I found it to be one of the most grueling, but most fulfilling events I have ever participated in.  I can honestly say riding the Challenge changed my life, but not as much as the change that took place in me from knowing the people of  Hoka Hey. 
I work well with a team that has a common goal, but will admit I lack patience while dealing with incompetence, apathy, or just plain stupidity.

1 comment:

  1. Nice write-up Steve. I just ordered your book and look forward to reading it. We will probably meet someday. Maybe at the 2019 gathering.

    ReplyDelete