Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Meet the Board: Event Coordinator; Gary (Blackie) Barnes Rider # 662

Born and raised in the small country town of Quanah, Texas, a farming and ranching community on the banks of the Red River & Pease River that was a part of the Comancheria strong hold of the Comanche tribe.  The Town was named after Quanah Parker,  the Last Chief of the Comanches.  My blood is Comanche and  Scottish.
              I was a Texas Peace Officer and Game Warden for thirty years before retiring ten years ago.  All my life I've been riding both Wild Horses and Iron Horses.  New adventures have always been a part of my life, from working the Mexican Border to the neighboring states of New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas and Oklahoma.  On horseback I got to smell the roses among other things, but the motorcycle always got me further faster, henceforth my love of Harley Davidson's 
              I found out about HHMC through my old Game Warden partner Bubba Vincent , also a HHMC Rider.  I was living in Hawaii in 2010 when the first challenge took place..  Bubba called me and told me he had found us a new adventure to try, but I was in the motion of moving back to Texas and didn't have time to get prepared.  So I told Bubba , who rode in 2010, that if he liked it then I would ride in 2011.   He did and so in 2011 I made my first HHMC , which just happened to be the longest challenge they've had.  Starting at Mesa, Arizona ...riding to the Pacific Coast, All 48  Continental US States, Gulf of Mexico , up the Atlantic Seaboard to Nova Scotia .   And what a Ride it was...from the time I left home and returned home on my 2011HD Ultra Classic, I put in 19,087 miles in 22 days of riding.  The adventure was the most demanding challenge I have ever put myself through.  From the heat of Death Valley, 120 degrees at midnight, to 16 degrees a top Bear Tooth Pass...along with rain from Hurricane Irene, sleet, hail, wind, earthquake in North Carolina, lack of sleep and living on protein bars and jerky I fit myself into a pair of jeans two sizes smaller and 28 lbs lighter once I reached the finish line at Cape Britain , Nova Scotia.
 
            My first day gave me 1206 miles into my challenge and eight more 1100+mile days....but lack of sleep at the beginning three days caused me to hallucinate (Bad) from Lewiston, Idaho while climbing over Lola Pass into Montana.  You hear of people hallucinating , but until you've experienced it then you have no idea how deep the mind can travel.  I've always been a man of Spiritual faith and of God, and I've always prayed to him, but this was the first time I've ever heard his voice talking back to me.  I can definitely say HHMC has had a Major Influence in my Spiritual Life now !!!
            Since that ride in 2011 I have been with HHMC ever since ....after meeting Jim Red Cloud and his wife Beth, and being asked by Jim to come work with them, I have been a part of the Greatest Long Distance Family ever born....the HOKA HEY OYATE'S !!!   One of the great things about riding the challenges is the family you make with the other riders.  We're all definitely different in our own ways, but our cravings for adventure are the same.  We've been described as misfits and dysfunctional....and yes to a point we are...but We're All Warriors , Warriors who fight for the weak, helpless, injured, needy, disadvantaged and anyone else who ask for our help.  I have done nothing but Grown by being a part of this Tribe over the past eight years and I'm proud to know that I'm a Hoka Hey Warrior !!!   HOKA HEY !!!
  My advice to any new rider riding the  challenge ......"Expect the Unexpected" ...."Sleep when you feel the need"..."and stay alert" ...."they're all kinds of creatures that will join you on a HHMC" !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment