Monday, December 30, 2013

New Year's Resolution

On the 1st day of each year many of us make a New Year’s Resolution.  This practice dates back centuries.  The ancient Babylonians promised to return borrowed objects and/or pay old debts.  During Medieval times the knights of legend took the “peacock vow” which was a statement to re-affirm their commitment to chivalry.  Our current day resolutions often center on self improvement.  I have heard that new gym memberships are at their highest around the first of the year.  I suspect that has something to do with some well meaning resolution.

Sadly, with many of us, the well meaning resolution often lives a very short life.  Our level of dedication to our resolution meets an obstacle and the obstacle wins.  More often than not we are our own obstacle.  I’ve made resolutions every year for more years than I can remember; I don’t recall living up to many of them with any level of accomplishment.  The only person I can blame for that failure is me.  To succeed takes total commitment.  Total commitment, much like the Hoka Hey Challenge, is a difficult thing; not at all easy.

We all seek self-improvement, but I think our “annual” focus on our resolution may be a mistake.  A commitment to improve ourselves, whether it is in the area of finances, health or a better outlook on life is not a onetime or "annual" thing; it must be re-affirmed each and every day.  I would submit that some resolutions require a re-commitment every hour of each day.

I ask that you join me in my New Year’s Resolution; actually, there are two of them which are going to take a significant commitment from us all.  The first resolution is to commit to the Hoka Hey philosophy and second to compel at least one other to join you in the 2014 Hoka Hey Challenge.   Join me in this endeavor; to ride safe and to ride with integrity with an attitude toward applying yourself to the betterment of our fellow brothers and sisters; that, in a nutshell, is the Hoka Hey philosophy.

The betterment of mankind often starts with the actions of one person.

Happy New Year to my Hoka Hey Brothers and Sisters; ride safe and ride with integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment