Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 831 Robert Talbett Jr.

This will be my third attempt to complete the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. Just two short weeks prior to the 2020 MOMIS KOMET, my father passed on. Robert “Rainman” Talbett (#832), was my best friend and my Hoka Hey riding partner. Only death would keep us from the starting line of the 2020 Hoka Hey.  I first attempted the Hoka Hey in 2016 after a chance encounter with a group of Hoka Hey riders as they passed through their check point in Gowanda, NY.  I often wonder if I found the Hoka Hey, or, if the Hoka Hey had found me. Not a day goes by that I don’t think about my father and the Hoka Hey. Memories of previous rides (the scenery, the people, the struggles and the sheer joy) as well as thoughts in preparation for 2022 filter into each and every day.  My mind wanders about the open road, chasing that perfect sunset and the excitement of where “KIKSUYA” where take me.  While the goal of any challenge is ultimately to cross the finish line, the real prize is found in the personal, spiritual growth and evolution as a rider. The epic memories and experiences along the way are gifts that can never be lost or stolen.  They are the building blocks to becoming not only a better rider, but to becoming a better person. I know without doubt that I am a different person than I was when I departed the starting line at Pala Resort, San Diego in 2016.  The goal of the Hoka Hey is to “Enrich, Empower, and Unite” [from the Hoka Hey Mission statement]. In 2016, I was honored to be chosen for one of the four major awards reflective of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge core values, “Riding with Respect”. I hold this award close to my heart and will treasure it always.   Going into the 2022 Challenge, I feel confident. This will be the year that I cross the finish line. I have embraced longer rides, going further and further for an event or to visit a friend or family member.  One of the changes that I have implemented in my riding since riding the Hoka Hey is that I prefer to stay at Hoka Hey hotels while being out on the road for multiple days.  I would much rather spend time sleeping under the stars, my bike beside me.  There’s nothing quit like waking in the morning dew….  One of the many things that I have learned in my time as a Hoka Hey rider to pass on to new riders is to pack light, “gas and go”, and not to quit (even though you will want to). Two years is a long time between opportunities to ride this epic event. Two years is a long time spent in regret, reflecting on what could have been.  Also, you’ll hear the phrase “expect the unexpected” many times prior to the start and it couldn't be more true.    Before his entry into eternity, my father- Rainman 832, handed me his Hoka Hey vest. “Finish it for you….I know you can do it.  I will be there with you the whole way and I’ll be there when you finish.”   Until we ride together again, you are loved and you are missed. Robert “Rainman” Talbett, Sr. (11/1/1952- 7/17/2020)This year, I will be riding to raise funds and donations for my friend and colleague, Jamie Billquist, who started a non profit fund “Rosie’s Run” in honor of his unexpectedly and tragically deceased wife Rosemary “Rosie” Billquist.  She was a woman of many passions, Rosie was a marathon runner, triathlete, community volunteer, animal lover and one of the nicest and kindest humans on the planet.  Jamie is carrying on her spirit with love, honor, grace, integrity.  The Rosie’s Run fund has been giving back to the community and helping as many people and families as possible. Through various fund raising events, Jamie and the fund have been able to not only help local families in need its also been able to help the Southern Tier Kidney foundation and the Chautauqua County Humane Society.  Please consider donating to The Rosie’s Run fund because “In a world where you can be anything, Be Kind” For donations please DM me

See you at the starting line, 


No comments:

Post a Comment