Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Meet The New Rider# 991 Greg Smith

 


Greg lives in Perth Western Australia where he enjoys riding his 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited.  He came across the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge many years ago and followed the event and riders every day (and night) in both 2018 and 2020.  Greg was accepted to ride the 2020 HHMC and during the many months of preparation COVID-19 hit, the Australian International Borders were closed, and Greg was unable to leave the country to ride in the event. Greg wanted to put himself to the challenge that only the Hoka Hey delivers on ie: man and the machine, the elements, the mental and physical challenge of endurance and determination. It’s his determination that’s seen him continue to prepare during the pandemic to take on the 2022 ride.

Greg’s ridden over 20,000 miles across the USA and has ridden the backroads from NYC to LA twice. Probably a reasonable effort for an Aussie :)As an IBA rider his passion for long distance riding and experiencing backroads USA has given him a taste for the big one, the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge.  After talking with several of the 2016, 2018 and now 2020 riders about their experiences, he is hooked and has to ride it.“As an international rider, it’s a very different challenge to prepare to travel halfway around the planet, not be able to ride my own bike, and to rely on using a standard HD rental bike for the biggest HD endurance ride on the planet.  Because of that my setup by necessity will be very different to most of the other riders, but still geared to support riding my own ride plan.  That’s the most consistent single piece of advice I’d taken onboard from those who have gone before me … ride your own ride.That said, I am actually better prepared now than I was for the 2020 HHMC and I know it’s going to be mentally and physically challenging, but I just want to finish, and know I have done it while experiencing everything previous riders have said the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge is to a rider.  We are here for a good time not a long time and I am ready to battle the unknown; overcome my personal weaknesses; face fear and defeat; and find the courage and determination to finish.  At the end of this journey waits the right to wear the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge patch on the back of my vest and I will be ready for that journey."The Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge is all about doing something to better someone else, while enriching your own life ... and Rider #991 from down under is ready to step up to the challenge !


 

No comments:

Post a Comment