Sunday, March 27, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1003 Mark Keating

 


I was born and raised in Canada - and work in the technology sector.  I have been motorcycling since the mid-90s when my father and I took our motorcycle licensing course together.  I have two (mostly) grown sons - both of whom have shown interest in motorcycling, and a partner with whom I spend time when not one the bike (shes not fond of riding for more than short rides!).  If Im not riding youll find me doing one of two things:  keeping myself in some semblance of shape by cycling and running, or shooting landscape photos.

 

Since I learned about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge Ive been super excited by the idea of participating.  The low-tech, old-school format of the challenge is one of the key reasons Im interested.  By limiting the use of technology, and requiring riders to live rough with their bike, the HHMC ensures the focus of the event is on testing the capabilities and stamina of the rider and his/her bike. The only thing of which Im sure is that the HHMC will be test of my stamina and capabilities as a rider. 

 

As with all Hoka Hey participants, I have a lot of miles in the saddle.  In spite of that experience, the HHMC is sure to be the most challenging single event that I will have attempted.  The combination of distance, low-tech format, and requirement to sleep rough with the bike will combine to test my (and the other participants) limits. I met a few Hoka Hey finishers at an Iron Butt Association get-together in 2016.  Sharing a few drinks with them, I learned everything I could about the event.  Ever since, I have been fascinated by the event, and planning on riding the challenge.

 

I was originally scheduled to ride the 2020 Challenge - but with border closures due to the pandemic, my entry was deferred to 2022.

 

The HHMC is, even in the sphere of long-distance motorcycling, quite unique.  Even so, the best advice I have received has been a reminder of the most common sense LD motorcycling basics - stay hydrated, eat healthy foods, get sufficient rest to ride safely, and, perhaps most importantly, never pass gas.

 

To date, my biggest challenge is simply prepping myself and my bike for the rigours of the HHMC.   I am undertaking a more rigorous exercise program in anticipation of the test of my physical endurance over 10+ long days in the saddle.  I am, as well, working through the basic and more in-depth maintenance of my bike - inspecting, upgrading or replacing all the major systems. Much of this work is (unfortunately) being repeated since I’ve rolled many miles since doing prep work in anticipation the 2020 challenge!  I couldn’t imagine toeing the line of the Hoka Hey without the support of my local Harley Dealership - Blackbridge Harley Davidson in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada.

 

In virtually all areas of our lives, modern comforts and technology have taken the challenge” out of what we do.  What really attracted me to the Hoka Hey Challenge was the format of the event - the core test of a ridersstamina and endurance, the limits on modern technology, and the requirement for riders to sleep rough with their bike.  I have, and continue to, try to push my limits.  The HHMC will be the biggest test of my capabilities I will have attempted on a motorcycle.

 

As with most riders, I have committed myself to raising an ambitious $10,000 for a few worthy causes in conjunction with my Hoka Hey participation. 

 

First, I'm personally committed to continued support of the global Charity, Shelterbox. This organization was founded in the United Kingdom, and has a small, dedicated Canadian branch.  I continue to be a Shelterbox Ambassador.  ShelterBox is committed to helping ensure no family is left without shelter after natural disaster or conflict – by going where others cant, or wont. They deliver shelters, building materials, cooking equipment and other necessities of life to families in the immediate wake of disasters, helping them to quickly rebuild their physical and emotional worlds. Shelterbox is currently active in multiple natural disaster areas and conflict zones around the world. 

 

Second, the last couple years has really opened the eyes of many Canadians (including me) to the long-standing historical inequities endured by the First Nations people of Canada.  While there is little we can do to right the wrongs of the past, there is much that can be done to change the path we're on - recognizing that we all play a part in the solution.  As such, I have also selected to support True North Aid - whose mandate is to provide practical humanitarian assistance to indigenous communities in northern Canada through initiatives established on eight foundational stones of support. These include self-determination, reconciliation, water, food, health, housing, hope and education. 

 

For simplicity sake, I’ve put together a single fundraising page through which donations can be made to the above charities. Canadahelps.org Riding 10,000-miles and Raising $10,000

 

I would not be able to do this ride without the amazing support of my local Harley Davidson Dealership - BlackBridge HD.  I cannot count the number of hours I've spent consulting with their parts and service teams to get my bike in tip top shape - and to ensure it's dialed in for long distance comfort. 


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment