Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1028 Derek Bozica

 


I have been involved with the railroad industry for the last ten years, ranging from a track supervisor with a Class 1 railroad to my current duties as a track inspector with a railroad contractor. The railroad industry has been very rewarding to me, and it takes up much of my life. I often think of the phrase: “If you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life,” and with my career, truer words have never been spoken. My co-workers joke that if they were to cut me, I would bleed creosote (the preservative used to treat railroad cross-ties).

Outside of railroading, and if I am not riding, you will find me in my garage working on one of my three Harley's or those of my friends. My father was a trained Harley mechanic, and I spent countless hours working with and learning from him in our garage, which created a “self-sufficient” attitude when it comes to fixing my vehicles. By the age of thirteen, I was working in the service department of the local Harley dealership (my mother also worked there), where my love of and passion for the culture continued to grow, along with my technical knowledge. The skills and knowledge gained from working with my father and at the dealership served me well when I got my first Harley, a 1969 Electra Glide, which is still in my “stable.” Today, I primarily ride a 2020 Road Glide Special, which I bought new and turned 20,000 miles within the first year.

I first learned of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge from one of my closest friends, Rick Smoot - Rider 1016. Hearing his description of what the Challenge entailed intrigued me, and I knew that it would be the ultimate test of my mettle and would further cement my love and passion for riding. I am excited to embark on this Challenge, and I expect to not only have my will/endurance tested to the limit, but I also expect at some point during the ride to become “one” with my machine and to discover my true self along the way. From the Challenge, I expect to be sent on an amazing, challenging ride around the country where I will be able to experience “America” in all her glory alongside the cream of the biker crop.

One of the best pieces of advice I’ve been given about riding in the Challenge is “to ride your own ride.” One needs to find his own pace and stick with it, as no two individuals are identical – what works for one may not work for the other. To me, this “ride your own ride” idea also translates to how one loads his bike for the ride ahead. There is no “cookie cutter” approach to outfitting a motorcycle for long-distance riding, so it’s up to the individual to come up with his own solution. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment