Friday, March 18, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 190 Chris Drake


 

 I am  CRISMAN  rider #190    CHRIS DRAKE

I have ridden  all of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenges.
My wife Sue and I have toured across the US, Canada. Yukon, Alaska, Labrador, and Newfoundland before 2009. On our Honda goldwing pulling our trailer.  In 2009 Sue showed me an ad for Hoka Hey in a motorcycle magazine she had and to my surprise  said that I should do it. And so it begins, I sent in my application and waited. Then I was selected as a challenger, Oboy, now not having an American made air cooled motorcycle or even ever rode one I set out to get a Harley Davidson. In Feb. 2010 I got a 2009 FLHTP.
My riding style hasn't changed much, just much more time in the saddle with hand on throttle and sleeping out by the bike. Which I do enjoy.
Advice to new riders, Make this a challenge, not a race. Challenge yourself and your bike. Hoka Hey was not set up to be a vacation ride. it is to get you to a place that you probably would never go within yourself.  Challenge yourself, push your limits,
but always BE SAFE.. 
Things do happen down the road, be prepared to meet the challenge 
I have had breakdowns, ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere,  even wrecked around midnight in Illinois on a bridge, that is where my first encounter with a mayfly took place . They were swarming around the lights, it was very humid and they fell onto the bridge. They were up to my footboards deep. And slippery as all get out  . After an hour of repairing  wiring that was cut into by my handlebars being bent down, with a hurt hand continued on into the night. 
I am not much of a fundraiser, although I do donate to the Hoka Hey charity of the year.I feel that fundraising started out  to be for the Hoka Hey charity for Native American advancement,  but seems to have moved to the riders choice for charity donations.
I do have great support from my wife SUE , my family and friends, and my work that lets me take off to do such an amazing adventure.
see ya down the road, CRISMAN


 

No comments:

Post a Comment