Saturday, March 26, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 998 Jason Jenkins

 

 



“There is nothing impossible to they who will try.”

Alexander the Great

 

 

          There was a time in 2011 that I thought I could never participate in such ride as the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. This is when I first heard of the challenge, I was in Las Vegas and one of the local dealerships was participating that year as a check point. I went out and watched the riders in awe as riders came in and then left the dealership. The riders were already starting to show wear at only the first check point, but they swung a leg over their bikes that were fully loaded and rode off into the unknown.

 

          The next year Las Vegas hosted the start of the challenge and I was able to see most of the bikes and riders that were willing to take on the ride of a lifetime. I was still mesmerized by it all and dreamed of just taking to the road one day and just riding.

 

But this wasn’t for me. I’m not that rider and I forgot about the Hoka Hey.

 

As the years passed so did my riding style there was a gradual progression of wanting to ride more miles. At first it was just to get out of town, then there was my first overnight trip to a neighboring state, then a two-night stay. As I kept riding, the miles that I rode got longer which eventually led to numerous Iron Butt Rides and Cross-Country trips.

 

As I eased into long distance riding, I started to hear about the HHMC again. At first; I silently read ride reports from the HHMC blog, I even started following some riders on social media platforms and started to reach out as online friends.

 

          In 2018 I became obsessed with the HHMC and soon after I made up my mind that I wanted to enter. You can say that it called to me and at that point the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge became something that I must do. My first obstacle was to overcome my self-doubt. I needed to believe that I could do it before I even applied to the HHMC.

 

Since 2018 I have been planning and preparing, as best as one can, or at least I thought as best one could. I was entered to ride the 2020 challenge but working in the Health Care industry and with COVID now on the loose, I knew my ride was in jeopardy. There was still hope though until one month prior to the start, then it was obvious that my ride wasn’t going to happen and I had to make the call to Beth.

 

          In the meantime, I rode… and then I rode some more. When I wasn’t riding, my distraction was off-roading in my jeep, video games and working on various projects in the garage. I enjoy working in the garage, it’s a happy place for me. …and of course, I still researched and I created lists and then I planned some more.

          I also attended any event that I could that I could that a Hoka Hey rider attending. I went to the Taco Runs and the 2021 Get Together in Texas or just ambushing riders in the middle of their ride when they were near. It was at one of these moments that I got my best advice, ‘Don’t get so preoccupied in making it back in time for the end of ride celebration that you make a poor decision out on the road. Ride YOUR ride, not someone else’s.’. This advice struck a chord with me and I settled down a bit and to stopped trying to research every detail. I realized that I just need to ride my ride and stop over thinking it, and to embrace the moment and my surroundings.

 

          My chosen charity for many years now, is the Nation of Patriots. They are a 100% volunteer organization that works to support U.S. Veterans and their families. What I really like about them is that ALL money that is raised stays in the area that it was raised in and no money goes to the administration.  I am proud to assist the Nation of Patriots and have also been fortunate to witness first-hand the help these families have received and how it benefits them.

 

-Jason “Dr. Tiki” Jenkins

Blog : www.DrTiki.com

Instagram : @doctiki

Charity : www.NationOfPatriots.com




No comments:

Post a Comment