Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1107 John Viessman


 My name is John Viessman, and I’m not really sure how to write a biography. I was extended the opportunity to become a Challenge rider this year as a new rider #1107. I first became aware of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge through my wife’s cousin Robert Krauter rider #898. We talked a little about it, and his experiences during his first time as a rider. From there I was hooked and couldn’t wait to apply. I was going to try and apply for the 2020 ride, but due to starting a new job wasn’t able to. I therefore made concerted efforts to make sure my application was on time for the 2022 Challenge, and now here we are with me trying to explain to folks about me. So here goes nothing, and I’ll keep it short as to not bore anyone to death. I was born and raised in Granite City, Il. After High School I joined the Air Force and found myself in South Dakota, where I decided to stay after I was discharged from the Air Force.

First bike I ever road was an old Honda 750 Four back in the eighties, and it didn’t take much for me to be hooked. I stopped riding due to joining the service, and found myself wanting to ride again. So in 93 I took it back up until I broadsided a deer in 95, and met the woman who would now be my wife of 25 years. I took another hiatus until 2004 when I started riding again on a Honda Shadow Ace Deluxe, and haven’t looked back. I now have a 2017 Road Glide Ultra, and will be riding it during the 2022 Hoka Hey Challenge.   

I was asked what do I expect to gain from the experience, and to that I respond with the following. A new understanding of myself, meeting some new folks, and creating some new friendships. Other than that I have no idea what to expect, and that’s the fun part.

I will be raising funds for The Sacred Heart Center in Eagle Butte, SD. Till we meet in June, and along the way. Have fun and keep the gremlins away. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment