Saturday, March 19, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 164 Gary Trumper

 


My name is Gary Trumper Rider #164.  I live in Northern California.  I am a commercial fisherman and have participated in 5 Hoka Hey Challenges.  I have finished 2 including the first one in 2010 Key West to Homer Alaska.  Due to Border restrictions at Canada, I was not allowed to cross two different times.  Another time I did not finish I ran into legal issues and was not able to complete the challenge.

Where I live there are many mountainous winding roads, so I feel like I was experienced in that regard and have never and still not into navigation and GPS.  But of course the Hoka Hey tested my limits on long distance riding.   I always have felt like I was born in the wrong century.  I always try to picture myself on a horse trying to find my way thru the desert , plains or wilderness.  Being on a bike and sleeping on the ground riding across the country is the next best thing.  

I live for traveling to new places and meeting new people.  The Hoka Hey Family has become my new family for life.  I can travel anywhere in the US and call up a Hoka Hey Family member and have dinner or a cup of coffee and stay a while.  As any HH Family member is welcome in my home.

The Hoka Hey changed my life by making me push myself to extremes that I did not know I had in me.  My only regret is that I did not write down my experiences on paper so I can remember everything and look back and maybe share with the grandchildren.  All I have is the stories I can tell. 

My advice to new riders is Don’t take too much stuff.  Something comfortable to sleep in that will keep you dry. Some clean socks. A light for reading the map in the dark. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment