Monday, March 14, 2022

Meet The Board of directors Of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge

 

BETH DURHAM CO-FOUNDER

DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS

 

I was born in Ft. Sill, OK and was not only an “Army Brat” but a “Preacher’s Kid” and finally a “Shrink’s Daughter!” Some might think this meant I was nothing but trouble my whole life but, what it really means is that I am “STRONG!"

 I started riding motorcycles when I was 16 years old and have either been in the saddle or on the back ever since. I met the love of my life, Jim Red Cloud, when I was just 19 years old and the two of us made a great team. Through the years, we owned several businesses, along with real estate investments and other ventures. Jim and I are both proud Navy veterans; he served from ’73 to ’75 and I served from ’92 to ’98. Jim was also an artist and created some truly amazing pieces of work. His creativity and drive knew no bounds and it brought us many amazing things and took us to many amazing places in our life together.

 Still, there are very few things that we did together that could rival the creation and promotion of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge™. This event is the result of Jim’s inspiration and my determination. I've always known that hard work and perseverance is necessary in order to get by in this world and the HHMC has demanded that of both it’s riders as well as its founders!!

 Since Jim's passing, I have had to rely on every ounce of strength and determination I could muster. Still, in my weaker moments, it has been my family – both my biological family and my Hoka Hey family – that has carried me through.

 

That, and the memory of Jim’s own words; “HOKA HEY… Every day is a good day to die if you live your life well.”

 

 

 


Steve, Hoka Hey Rider #779, is not only a rider but is also the Director of
Logistical Operations for the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge Board of
Directors. So yes, this is the guy you will have to love or hate depending
on how you enjoyed the route. Steve stumbled onto the HHMC while doing a
google search and was disappointed to learn the 2010 Challenge had left
three days earlier heading to Homer, Alaska. Continuing his research about
the ride he decided this was a ride he had to do, wanting to prove to
himself "that he still had it." It was not until 2013, due to a couple of
back to back deployments to serve his country, that Steve finally got his
chance. One of his best memories of that ride was a rain soaked, hail
riddled New Mexico morning were he pulled up in front of a restaurant
thinking he would get a hot cup of coffee and warm his bones.  He remembers
the look from an elderly couple who, after coming out the front door, took
one look at Steve and turned around and went back inside. Thinking the
couple was "concerned" by what looked like a drowned rat on a grungy
motorcycle that they had probably gone back inside to warn their friends and
call 911.  Instead, Steve was amazed, surprised and humbled when the couple
came back out with a cup of coffee for him and a smile on their faces.
Another fond memory for him was in Arkansas was when he ended up going 50
miles the wrong way on a perfect road with sweeping curves, smooth pavement,
no traffic, and no wildlife.  Upon realizing he was going the wrong way he
was not at all irritated because now he could ride the perfect road again.
Scary trees that looked like flying dragons and lions with wings was part of
the mental game Steve dealt with at 2:00AM in Northern Minnesota after an
1100 mile day.  The Challenge will try to break you, but it will entertain
you as well.

He loves the integrity of the riders and says if you are riding the HHMC for
personal gain you probably missed the point of the ride. Exhilarating,
frustrating and awestruck are just a few words Steve would use to describe
his experience, but he had determined failure was not an option.  He is the author of
"Solitary - Without the Confinement" which is a narrative of self-discovery
that was born during the 2013 Challenge.

 

Father of Abigail Jane Levins and motorcycle enthusiast, John Levins. I also serve as risk management officer on the board of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. My Hoka Hey family journey started in 2012. The same year I lost my Father. August 5th I found myself on the starting line of the 3rd Annual HHMC in sunny Las Vegas, Nevada. Just three months after my Father's passing and boy did I need this escape from reality.

Standing by my side was my brother from another mother Eric Buskell rider # 733. We have been friends for over 30 yrs. This morning would change my life forever. We would be riding for 13 days nonstop. Over those 13 days I had quite a few deep spiritual events.

On a Hoka Hey high I decided to ride the 2014 event as well. This ride I would find myself riding through British Columbia where I hit a deer at about 70 mph. Not good for me or the deer, landing myself in the hospital in BC. Once I was stabilized I was flown to Spokane, Washington where I received 1st class care at Sacred Heart Hospital of Spokane Valley.

The Hoka Hey family has become my family. Jim Red Cloud took me as his son after I lost my biological father. He said I was one of the lost boys.  The passing of Big Jim Red Cloud has really hurt because I feel like I have lost two fathers. He was a great mentor to me.

 

 Director of Rider Relations Junie Rose # 383


Hoka Hey # 9 WOW! The rider who showed up in Key West, FL. with one breast and no hair is a different person/ rider then the one I am today. Having no idea what to expect I was not prepared to read driving directions all the way to Alaska. Sitting on a ziplock bag containing said directions I proceeded to go like a bat out of hell across the bridges to the mainland in pursuit of that GOLD! Little did I know the gold I was going to find was so much more valuable then the gold everyone was chasing that Father's day morning in 2010. 

Fast forward 12 years to 2022 I am now the Director of rider relations for an event that was supposed to be a "ONE AND DONE!" event. What a great job to be the first to interview potential riders. So many great stories of what they think it's going to take to reach the finish line. Fortunately I do know a little about perseverance. Not knowing the route in advance I feel is important so although I am on the board I don't peek. 

This country has so many amazing places to see and experience. The Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge has taken us across plains and mountains, coastal lands and rivers and lakes. Rural America at it's highest and lowest. Ghost towns with the only evidence of people is what they left behind. Like the cancer that started all this for me my body is showing its age and the long term effects of things we are exposed to everyday. 
 
Each rider plays an intricate part of the dream Jim Red Cloud had in sending a thousand warriors across the country sharing the needs of others. For some reason that dream included motorcycles and like minded motorcycle people. Without them the task would become to much, But "If everyone does a little a lot gets done."
 
 


I was born and raised in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania and moved to California many years ago. I just happened to be one of the lucky people who met Beth and Jim long ago through other people in the motorcycle community. Being part of The Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge from its inception has been such a great privileged. Every story from the thousands and thousand of miles our riders have traveled are etched in my heart and I treasure the wonderfully amazing people Hoka Hey has brought into my life. 
My favorite place during a Challenge will always be the finish line and I look forward to continuing to watch our Hoka Hey family grow.

 


I made my first Hoka Hey Challenge on the 2011 run from Mesa, Arizona to Nova Scotia...just happened to be the longest Challenge to date...I rode 19,087 miles in 22 days from my house until my return home.  It was definitely the Greatest Adventure and Achievement in my life....i tell everyone I've always been a God fearing man, but in 2011 HHMC I found God....♡♡♡
After meeting Jim Red Cloud & Beth, Jim asked me to join them in the promotion of the Challenge....being retired and loving the entire reasoning behind the Challenge,  I accepted...I've been with Hoka Hey ever since.....to all my Hoka Hey Oyates (family) and our new riders I always stress the point of "Ride Your Own Ride"  ....you'll be amazed at the things you'll find out about yourself when it's only you, your bike and the road running in sync...."HOKA HEY" !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment