Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Meet The Rider Tom Hunter # 706

I  First learned of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge in 2011 when I was reading an article in Full Throttle magazine.  My grandson and daughter were over to the house that evening and I showed them the article and ask him if he didn't think that would be pretty neat to do .  My daughter told me that I was too old to do something like that I was seventy at the time.  I signed up the next day! When I arrived at the start not knowing what to expect I received a lot of helpful advice from some of the veteran Riders.  Although these are the most competitive people I've ever known, they compete against them self not against each other and they will give you real good advice.  One of the things I remember in particular was being told that I would feel like quitting about halfway through.  I thought to myself at the time "that's not going to happen," well it did and I had to work through it and realized I can't quit now.  I have to go I have to continue! 
One of the best pieces of advice I received was a ride your own ride and enjoy it although sometimes it is quite hard to enjoy it what with the adverse weather sleep deprivation getting lost etc etc etc. But that is all part of the experience somehow I managed to muddle through and made it to the Finish Line in the prescribed time and became a Hoka Hey Finisher!  One of the veteran Riders met me at the Finish Line handed me his telephone and said call your daughter! I knew then I had been accepted into the Brotherhood and trust me it is a Brotherhood!  The veteran Riders become family! 
One of the best feelings I ever had is riding up to that Finish Line knowing that I had completed it and although completely exhausted thinking to myself can't wait for the next one.  This will be my 7th challenge so one piece of advice I would give New Riders is do not over pack you will not use half the stuff that you carry.


No comments:

Post a Comment