Saturday, March 14, 2020

Meet The Rider Greg Schafer # 186

Greg Shafer, I am, 67 years old born and raised in Kansas City Mo. After high school I joined the USAF and became a detection dog handler. I then spent 24 years in law enforcement in Missouri. After retiring in 1996 I owned and operated a convience store for a couple of years, then worked as a Parts and Service manager for 6 years. In 2002 moved to the Lake of the Ozarks to help take care of my aging parents. Now I had rode motorcycles since I was 16 and in late 2009 I came across a Magazine ad for the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge for 2010, it grabbed my imagination and I was hooked. The next eight months was spent getting ready for the 10,000 mile ride from the West Keys in Florida to Homer, Alaska. Every rider I talked to had a bit different slant on equipment and logistics. It was clear that the run to Alaska was going to be a battle. This only increased my will to get to the starting line. I have often said, that for those of us that have to save every dime to be able to afford do the Challenge, That getting to the starting line is half the battle. Eight Hundred riders showed up in Florida and at six in the morning we roared up the highway out the Keys into an adventure that no one was sure how it would end. Then on the second evening in Alabama, my Challenge was ended by a car rear ending me. Thanks to the spirits, I somehow walked away, only to be able to make the award ceremony at Sturgis. It was an unigue experience in that we found ourselves at the largest biker rally and people was treating us like Rockstars. People giving a  thumbs up or stopping you and asking about the Challenge where ever you went. Well for me it only made me more determined to get to the starting line for the 2011 Hoka Hey Challenge.
Greg Shafer....My Word is my Bond..................


No comments:

Post a Comment