Thursday, March 26, 2020

Meet The Rider Jim Van Vlerah # 720

 There is no fun other than riding! As a grandfather of 4 (2 sets of twins, ages 10 & 5) the kids want to go for a Harley ride all the time. Last summer, the youngest granddaughter just wanted to ride, and ride, and ride. She’s was a little small at the time to go out on the highway so we took 30 trips up and down our 1 mile road, back and forth, all the while she was rocking out and singing at the top of her lungs to Hits 1 tunes on an XM channel. She would only pause between numbers to yell, “Faster grandpa! Faster!”The neighbors wondered what the heck was going on until they spotted Lucy on the back. Riding the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge, "It’s my dream vacation to be on my bike," with the only goal to go from Point A to Point B following the specific set of directions and trying to make it within the 14 day period. I like the challenge of so many miles in such a little amount of time compared to other riders that I know. 
 
When asked what is the best advice you have been given about riding the HHMC, since this will be Jim's sixth event, force yourself to rest after a certain number of hours or miles, what ever works for you. You’ll be all pumped up and want to keep going but if you don’t rest, you’ll mentally crash at some point during the event and that will make you fall behind. As the owner of a mechanical contracting company, I have to preplan what my customer’s needs will be while I’m away, with the crew that stays behind to keep the show rolling while I’m away. Once I take off at the start line, my brain turns off all work issues.

The attraction to the challenge was "wanting to be one of the toughest (or stupidest) riders" on earth who can say they accomplished the task. The planning up to the start of the event is one of my favorite things, I am always trying to invent better ways to hold the directions, better lighting on the bike for night time driving, but what is the most difficult trial I face, crossing the finish line, and knowing that it’s over for another year.


No comments:

Post a Comment