Friday, July 5, 2024

Meet The New Rider # 1216 Kevin Ralph


I was born in Los Angeles in January 1965. My parents divorced when I was five and I spent the
remainder of my formative years in a single parent home. At times, my mother worked as many as
three jobs to make sure my brother and I had what we needed. Welfare was not an option. At 16, I
went to work for a national grocery chain. At 18, I was the liquor department manager. At 23, I was
assistant store manager in one of the first multi-use stores (grocery, banking, pharmacy). Along the
way I paid my way through the University of Southern California where I majored in
English/American Literature. For the past 29 years, I’ve been in Human Resources; the last 18 years
as Chief Human Resources Officer for a variety of companies. I’ve been partnered with Pamela for
30 years and married to her for 23 years. We have three grown children.



The idea for riding the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge came from a guy I met on a fishing trip to Montana. Before meeting Brando Palazzo I had not heard of the event. It sounded interesting and like the kind of challenge that with fully grown children I was ready to undertake. I said, yes. And as a man of my word, in saying, “yes” I committed. The Hoka Hey presents a personal challenge, a test of endurance and
fortitude. I’ve been tested in many ways in my life, but I have not had to face arduous physical
challenge in many years, and nothing like the Hoka Hey presents. Add to that the opportunity to see
the country and to form new community with persons from many disparate walks of life and it’s
almost a no brainer.



My charity is Prison Fellowship Angel Tree offering the opportunity to make a difference in the life of
a prisoner’s child. “For prisoners' children, camp is a refuge. It's a safe place to get away from their
problems, experience the great outdoors, make new friends, and just... be kids! but most
important, at an Angel Tree camp, prisoners' kids hear the Gospel and many receive Jesus as Savior
and Lord.” A camp experience can change a child’s life forever. Angel Tree camping is a chance for
children of incarcerated parents to get away from their daily challenges and have fun in the great
outdoors, making new friends and meeting caring adult counselors. I spent 25 years with Boy
Scouts of America (as a scout and a leader) and can attest to the power of even a single week away
from city life, exploring and learning about nature and perhaps oneself. It is especially true for
children whose parents are not only incarcerated but who also suffer the stigma of having a parent
behind bars. – Kevin A. Ralph June 18, 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment