Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Meet The Rider Jon Fredrickson # 1019

I am an Eagle scout.  My whole family is involved in Scouts.  I am an Assistant Scoutmaster, merit badge counselor, and Shooting Sports instructor.  I was Scoutmaster for a National Youth Leadership Training.  I instructed Shooting Sports for the National Jamboree.  I am an IT Manager for Oshkosh Corporation (we make Big Trucks and not jeans).  I love camping and riding my motorcycle, therefore the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge is my idea of a fun.

I want to ride the HHMC because I enjoy traveling the country by motorcycle and camping.  I am looking forward to the HHMC because of the challenge it will present me. My only expectation is to be challenged and to have a fun time. The only advice I've heard is "Are you crazy?"  And my answer is "probably".  But when I think of the challenge ahead, I think of Yoda and his words of wisdom.  "Do or Do not, there is no try".  I will do the HHMC until I do or I do not.

The hardest challenge I will face is being gone from my family for almost a month.  I will miss my four kids and wife while gone.  They are excited to be able to watch where I go using the GPS tracking unit.  I also take pictures of small stuffed animals and send to my daughters so they can feel like they are with me.


 I had done some long distance rides and someone asked me if I had heard of the HHMC.  I said I hadn't.  So I went home looked it up and told my wife I'm doing that next.  So I saved my pennies and paid the full entrance fee and applied as soon as I could.I think I was attracted to the HHMC by the 10k miles and no gps and no hotel.  I'm expecting to see parts of the US that I haven't seen yet and can't wait.  I'm also excited about the possibility of interacting with the locals and other HHMC riders.  I love going to the local eatery to see/hear what they are thinking/doing.

My non-profit is my Scouts BSA troops 77 and 177.   Scouts gave me a foundation and family when I was growing up.  My kids are now getting the experience of Scouting.  The skills, abilities, and opportunities the kids get being part Scouts is priceless.  I want to make sure that Scouting is there for future generations.

This is my first HHMC!  And I don't think I can wait till August.

No comments:

Post a Comment